Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fresh water tank overflow

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
rfverdery
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 466. Twin TAMD 74 P 480 Volvo’s.

Fresh water tank overflow

Postby rfverdery » July 14th, 2022, 11:45 pm

We have a new to us 466 and the fresh water tank gauge does not work. Until we get it fixed can someone tell us how to tell when the tank is full, there is a statement in the owners manual that says don’t overfill. On our last boat we just filled it until it ran out the fill hole. Thanks for any help.

United States of America
wkeith
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 466 Aft Cabin MY

Re: Fresh water tank overflow

Postby wkeith » July 15th, 2022, 9:25 am

My gauge does not read correctly. When filling mine I fill till it comes out the overflow on the hull below the fill.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 15th, 2022, 9:37 am

Those tank gauges have a sending unit on the tank that is slightly adjustable.....there are two very small screws one for adjusting the panel gauge to the full mark when your tank is full and one for adjusting the panel gauge to the MT mark when the tank is MT.....they are prone to some corrosion, so working them can help...they take very little adjustment, worth a try before any thing else.
Still not deathly accurate but better than nothing, give it a try if you find those screws.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2009 44 Sojourn w/ Volvo Diesel D6-500 engines and IPS drive system.

Postby Rocketman » July 15th, 2022, 9:43 am

My 2009 44 Sojourn has the same labels at the fill. Do not overfill.
I always fill until water starts to come out the vent tube on the side of the boat. Have done this will all my boats.
You can hear the air gurgling just before water starts to come out so you can slow down the flow.
My gauge has been replaced and works fine but you would need a second person watching it since you would overflow before you could get back to the shutoff once it reads full.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 15th, 2022, 9:53 am

Yup I agree, we have always done it that way as well.

Maybe it is a safety concern about the vent hose getting full of water and having a small dip getting stale water stuck in there till the next fill.......just a guess on my part for why the warning.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”