Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

AC Aft cabin leaking

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
mitchellp
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 1989 38 Aft

AC Aft cabin leaking

Postby mitchellp » July 19th, 2022, 5:56 am

Hi,
I have a 1989 3807 aft cabin. The problem I am having is with the aft cabin AC unit overflowing. It is not consistant but it overflows the drain pan evey other time we use it. It seeps out under the drain tray from the black cushion and onto the carpet.

I can not see or touch the drain hole from the tray - no access.

Prior to do the below step the leak was stopped because no more water was seeping out.

1. We disconnected the drain line to the sump pump and put a hose to the line and the water came out into the tray because we could see the tray fill up with water - here is the strange part, I quit putting water through the line - it drained pretty good - but still leaked even with the drain supposedly clear.

2. My first thought the tray had a hole in it - well it holds water and does not leak all the time, so that does not seem to be the case

2. I was going to pull the unit - but I have no way of disconnectng the drain line.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Mitchellp

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: AC Aft cabin leaking

Postby Viper » July 19th, 2022, 6:45 am

Mitchell, are you sure the water is from the condensate in the tray, have you actually seen the tray overflow? Both the aft and salon units are known to leak into the aft cabin from condensation building up on the duct work as they are not insulated. The carpet is obvious from the aft one and the salon one shows those signs on the cedar walls of the aft cabin closet.

You should also check and ensure it's not a raw water leak at the unit. Check the input and output connections while it's operating as well as the condenser coil. A pinhole there can spray outside the drip pan.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: AC Aft cabin leaking

Postby Midnightsun » July 19th, 2022, 7:39 am

On a previous boat the AC was installed in a poor way meaning the levelness of the AC prevented the water from draining resulting in the pan needing to be almost full before it would even start to drain. The resulting water remaining in the pan at all times, flowed out with bow rise while under way. Is it overflowing at dock or does it seem to be worse after an outing?

After this experience with AC pan water, I have always paid particular attention to shimming the AC so that water runs out naturally while at dock. High pan water levels also cause stagnant smelly water so keeping them as dry as possible is rather important especially if you turn off the AC when leaving the boat for the week.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”