Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3607 factory installed A/C

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
bubmobile
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 3607

3607 factory installed A/C

Postby bubmobile » July 24th, 2022, 8:43 am

I have a 1985 3607 with an aftermarket (not factory installed) A/C and it seems not to be baffled off from the bilge/engine compartment so that it is drawing in air from those locations, air which is especially hot and sometimes odiferous upon docking after a long run. Could someone send me photos of a factory installed unit under the forward dinette seat which shows any provision made by the factory to keep this from happening? Thanks.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: 3607 factory installed A/C

Postby buster53 » July 24th, 2022, 10:50 am

I don’t have that boat, but there should be no connection to the engine room. Where is your air return and is it hooked directly to you AC?
I’m guessing the AC unit is directly behind the air return vent. Only thing I can think of, there is a opening under the dinette that allows air to be drawn in from the engine room. Close off that opening, make sure your filter is clean and you should be good to go.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » July 24th, 2022, 11:51 am

It's my finding that none of the boats I've had that did have hvac units installed even did the manufacturer care to isolate the hvac from being able to pull air from the bilge let alone a third party install.. I've reworked the hvac compartments on both my trojan and carver to isolate (to the best I can) the air being circulated to the cabin. If you'll do this the unit will be more efficient cause your not having to condition all that air. You'll also not be drawing the smells in either. This draw from the bilge can't be completely eliminated by any means like from floor hatches cabinets or gaps you don't of. but like my 405 fwd berth oem hvac just sitting on a board and spaces all around it open the bilge for it to draw air from . The salon hvac pulling air from open spaces against the hull to floor with air from the engine room. I guess it would have taken another 10 minutes for the manufacturer to block this air flow. I can tell you it's worth whatever you can build foam etc to fix this issue on your boat.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 24th, 2022, 12:17 pm

Is the unit installed under the seating just aft of the fwd head? That would have been the OEM installation for the salon A/C (and there were additional units for the v-berth and aft stateroom). That compartment should have a -rather large- grill for the return air which would be located under the seating as well, generally where you put for feet under the table. The outlet air from the HVAC unit would be ducted through a large hose (7 or 8") down the port side right under the settee seating, though the bulkhead and then exit in a register about mid-way down the port side of the salon.

Here's some diagrams that might help:

Carver_3607_HVAC1.jpg

Carver_3607_HVAC2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”