Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fresh Water Leak in bilge

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
alvasurg
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 460 Voyager GS

Fresh Water Leak in bilge

Postby alvasurg » August 14th, 2022, 12:26 am

2004 460 Voyager owner. I'm stumped. I constantly see 1 or 2 inches of water in my bilge. When I turn on the "pressure water pump" and leave it on, It'll empty out the fresh water tank in one day. Likely into the bilge. The Aft bilge pump then pumps it out. However, when I connect to dockside water and turn the pump off, the bilge has much less water in it. I have a Siren Marine system that tells me when the pump goes off, so I know when it cycles.

Any ideas as to how I go about finding the leak source? I'm aware that many times it's the water heater, but why doesn't it leak when connected to dockside water?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Fresh Water Leak in bilge

Postby bud37 » August 14th, 2022, 9:47 am

There really is no quick answer to this. It will require some time consuming inspection.

This is how I would tackle it........First empty your onboard tank, while emptying check the fresh water pump and surrounding fittings, then dry the bilge completely dry, shop vac if you have to.....then connect only the dock water, pressurize, get a bright light and check all your fittings with the water on but no taps open, put your fingers around each fitting if possible, put dry paper towels in all the sinks. If you suddenly see water in the bilge, try to isolate the direction it comes from to help find the leak....same goes if you find wet paper towels in the sinks, shower drain ( that should be obvious ).....give it some time.

If at this point if the bilge is still dry then turn off the dock side water, refill your onboard tank and do exactly the same thing with the onboard system on.....you see there may be a difference in operating pressure here, perhaps causing a leak that was not present with the dock water if it was a much lower pressure. You will also check the tank, the pump and the fittings between the tank and pump, especially the screen filter.

Good luck and take your time.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 14th, 2022, 11:33 am

What Bud says is a good direction to start.

It could well be that you have one leak and the difference is caused by the pressure difference between your shore water and the potable pump pressure. You could also have two leaks, one between the potable pump and where the shore water ties into the system and then a smaller one after the shore water ties into the system. I had a pinhole in a fitting once that was so small I couldn't actually see the stream of water coming out, but could feel it on my hand. You could see where it was getting the bulkhead wet about a foot away.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 14th, 2022, 11:55 am

Ya it's a matter of getting your head in there and eyes on all your plumbing hardware. There will be some not so easy places to access but typically the culprits are fittings, fixtures, hot water heaters, ice makers, washers, tank, etc. Sometimes the hardest ones to find are shower faucets where the leaks are behind the shower wall and difficult to see.

You haven't mentioned whether your pump cycles periodically with the faucets turned off. If it does, that's a dead giveaway that there is a leak on the pressure side not withstanding the ice maker calling for water, so turn the ice maker off if applicable. If there is a leak there, it'll still leak on the supply side with the icemaker off. A cycling pump could also mean a bad check valve and system pressure leaking back to the tank but given your symptom, I don't suspect that's the case.

If the leak is big enough to empty your tank in one day it should be a pretty obvious leak. The only section of the system that's separate from the dockside supply would be your tank and the plumbing between it and your pump providing no modifications have been made in the past so you can start your search in that area if you're convinced the problem isn't present when the pump is off and you're running off dockside pressure.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”