Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Improved water pump w/Relay

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Improved water pump w/Relay

Postby vineyardgray » November 17th, 2022, 6:32 am

Found this blog post of great interest, l thought I'd share:
http://www.argonsailing.com/2016/02/water-water-everywhere-but-i-cant-flush.html?m=1
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Improved water pump w/Relay

Postby Midnightsun » November 17th, 2022, 8:41 am

Good mod on the "that" pump however replacing the unit with a better built unit is the answer. If they undersized the contacter and the failure rate is high, time to shop for a better built unit IMHO. Personally I keep a spare on board just in case as it we all know it will fail at the worst time possible. The article also mentions these pumps have an impeller which is not the case, they are diaphragm pumps.

I also have another failsafe which is to switch over to "river water" which uses the wash down pump to pressurise the water system using lake/river water. This was a mod I did a few years back which can be seen here. Long read but really a great modification assuming you boat in fresh clean water. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3204&p=21171&hilit=river+water#p21171
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 17th, 2022, 9:36 am

Those micro switches tend to have a high AC amp rating but not much of a DC rating which is what our water pumps run on. It's important that the DC rating be sufficient as there is a huge difference in the way AC and DC act on contacts. I haven't had to replace a pump switch in some time so I don't recall their typical DC rating but I'll have to see if I can find one lying around that came out of a pump. Those micro switches are used in countless applications and the ones I've seen usually have a rating of 15A at 125/250 volts but only about half an amp at 125V DC. There is a vast selection of ratings out there but this spec is pretty common. The blog post mentioned they aren't rated for running motors but a lot of them are, they're used for that all the time and usually have a HP rating on them, but again that's usually for AC pumps not DC.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 17th, 2022, 10:50 am

You could probably extend the life of those microswitches a lot by adding a capacitor across the contacts.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 17th, 2022, 11:50 am

Good post ...seems to me like a good upgrade and work around to fix an engineering ( cost ) issue.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 17th, 2022, 12:44 pm

In my personal experience though, a freshwater pump failure has rarely been due to the pressure switch.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 17th, 2022, 1:15 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post In my personal experience though, a freshwater pump failure has rarely been due to the pressure switch.

This was my point about getting another model/brand of pump as opposed to trying to fix a poorly engineered one. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 17th, 2022, 5:09 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post
Viper wrote:Source of the post In my personal experience though, a freshwater pump failure has rarely been due to the pressure switch.

This was my point about getting another model/brand of pump as opposed to trying to fix a poorly engineered one. ;-)
I agree. I like the mod though, it's thinking out of the box. Those relays are great for countless applications. KM's suggestion of using a capacitor is also a good way to help reduce arcing.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 18th, 2022, 6:43 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post

I think that is a major problem nowadays, considering where all these parts come from in the first place. Just how can you figure out the quality of internal workings when many engineering decisions are made by bean counters and bonus plans.

I have tried over the last 10 years to buy North American made, it is very hard as some products appear ok on the surface but on inspection the parts come from all over, once again leaving them open to the cheap acquisition rule.

That faulty switch is the perfect example, for a few cents more it would probably be fine.

Darn shame IMO.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Mikwallace
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405 AC 7.4 Horizon engines

Postby Mikwallace » February 22nd, 2023, 1:28 am

This might be a bit of an overkill? However, I did this setup in my RV and it’s made a significant improvement in my fresh water system. I already had the relay, ordered the Accumulator from Amazon, picked up a couple SS hoses from Lowe’s and 30 min later it’s working. Now the pump is quieter and it seems to operate smothrt
1959 Larson 16’
1979 Caravelle 18’
1998 Chaparral 2330 7.4 L Mercruiser
2003 Chaparral 260 Ssi 8.1 L VolvoPenta DuoProp
1998 Carver 405 AC 7.4 Horizons
:captain2:
:usa:

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”