Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Improved water pump w/Relay

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Re: Improved water pump w/Relay

Postby KyleR » February 22nd, 2023, 8:52 am

In my personal experience though, a freshwater pump failure has rarely been due to the pressure switch.

My Shurflo pump just died and it was due to the pressure switch. When I put a continuity meter across the switch it would only work about once every 20 times I pressed the switch. I sprayed it with DeoxIT D5 and mechanically agitated it (i.e. banged it a few times) and was able to get a few more days out of it waiting on the replacement to show up. Even then I had to go bang on the switch a couple of times to get it working during those few days.

But what my point is, as I was researching this, the recurring theme I found was that these pressure switches are the MAIN reason these pumps fail. Rarely was it ever due to a diaphragm/motor/etc.

With that said, I will acknowledge that the pump I just replaced was 21 years old - so I really can't complain!! Granted the boat wasn't used much before we bought it, so the actual run-time on the unit was much less. But I figure it was due for replacement so I'm not complaining! :-D
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”