Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hot water heater leak

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
wgcdc
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Nepenthe
2003 Carver 366 MY
Volvo 8.1 GI's
Location Atlanta

Hot water heater leak

Postby wgcdc » February 5th, 2023, 6:02 pm

Hi folks, this is my first post on the forum. I purchased a 2003 366 Carver a little over a year ago and I am updating and cleaning up issues. My hot water heater is located under the bed in the aft cabin. The hot water tank appears to have been leaking for some time. I believe I can change the hot water heater out ok. What I need help with is the wood under the hot water heater. You can see from the attached pictures that the plywood the tank sits on has become rotten. I am nervous to go in there with a sawzall and cut up the rotten plywood for fear of hitting plumbing, wiring and stringers under the plywood. I think if I want to take the plywood out in one piece, I will also have to remove the freshwater tank as well. Any advice or words of wisdom?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Hot water heater leak

Postby bud37 » February 6th, 2023, 8:38 am

I don't know about wisdom but IMO do it right and remove the platform in one piece and replace........generally those bits are screwed into stringers etc, sometimes not done well. If you remove you will have the opportunity to find and correct any problems that may be hidden under there....too log screws/screws into stringers with no sealant etc etc....

Rotten wood will stink after a while and be hard to get all the rot unless removed complete.......good luck with your project.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 6th, 2023, 9:09 am

When I can't see what's under a platform that I have to cut even with a borescope inspection camera, I use a small rotary saw like a Dremel Ultra saw. One of the best tools in my bag for this type of work. Set the depth of cut so you don't cut beyond the thickness of the wood. If you can't cut all the way to an edge, finish the cut with an oscillating multi-tool.

Make sure you get ALL of the rotten/wet wood out, even if it means removing the water tank. It's okay to use more than one piece to rebuild the platform as long as the end result is structurally sound. Before you fasten the new platform in place, coat it with gelcoat or epoxy and make sure every single hole you put into it gets caulked.

When you install the new heater, run a line from the relief valve into the bilge if it doesn't already have it. Also, if you're in the habit of winterizing in your area, now is the time to install a tank by-pass so you don't have to keep removing and reconnecting the water lines to winterize.

Keep us posted on your progress

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » February 6th, 2023, 4:17 pm

Agree on the advice to invest the effort of removing more than you want to get to where you need to get to. Remove all te rotten stuff out of there, improve as advised and you will enjoy your boat more than when you cut corners now.

if the wood is very rotten, you can chop it to pieces here and there to have an idea what's under it. But cut lightly, smaller pieces at first and you'll be OK.

My boat had an electric winch installed by some a**hole who thought it was clever to drill a hole in the anchor chain locker and caulk it up a bit on the visible side. By the time I got the boat, it had leaked under the bed to the bottom of the bow. At first it looked like a bit of wood to replace. In the end I took out half the interior to get to all the rotten wood. Replaced with water-proof multiplex, used epoxy to build a gateway for the cables (and not the water) and all was good. And the smell that was considered to come from the diesel tank was much less.
What was left did in fact, come from the diesel tank but that's another story (about another a**hole who used long screws to fix a wooden floor above fuel lines....)

So elbow grease and intelligent destructive approach to your situation but do get it all out in one go, there will be more than enough other projects that will claim all attention in the near future and you don't want to get back to this one by that time.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

wgcdc
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2003 Carver 366 MY
Volvo 8.1 GI's
Location Atlanta

Postby wgcdc » February 9th, 2023, 10:29 am

All, thank you for the good advice. I am upgrading my batteries and charging system at the moment and I will start this project next. I will keep everyone updated.

Another noob question. Is there a way to make the forum notify you with an email if you have replies to your posts?

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » February 9th, 2023, 11:26 am

sure there is. but you don't want that.

because you want to check-in to the forum every day!

just kidding, I seem to recall that I turned some option in the profile or settings 'off' at some time. So I have to log in to keep up to date.

I don't mind so I login and after gravveling away the requests by one-time-visitors for brochures/manuals and such that I happened to have salvaged, I happily tend to the surge of PM's and emails telling, asking, requesting, demanding, for details and the one-solves-all solutions.

again kidding. As (I hope) you concluded. No surge. :blush:

I understand the need of the moment for a quick answer of many new ownders in the form of a how-to-and-all-will-be-well-forever. But it's just not there, it's not going to happen either. It's just a huge wish you have (and so many others) that a manufacturer takes care of you after you droppend $xxxxxxx.xx for a product. Sad, isn't it?

Well, lucky you! you found a forum where knowledgeable people ( and I mean KNOWLEDGE+able) people reside.

Never forget: what they give you in reply to your questions, doubts, fears and hopes. You owe them for that. Not in money but in repreciation and you can return the favor by joining and sharing your expirences.

That's not negative! You save time, money and a lot of worries. Thanks to this forum, to the members and to you.

to you?

Yes, you too can share what you learned, experienced and figured out over time.

Please feel free to share your experiences, this is the marine world: we help out where we can unless you're obviously leeching for personal gain. When we cannot; you're on your own. And when you share that what you figured out on your own, you are also part of the help to the next boater. Please don't underestimate your value to the coummunity.

Do the works that you need to do and enjoy your boat, I can assure you that it's much more enjoyment when you take care of problems thoroughly then when you cut corners .
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 9th, 2023, 11:39 am

wgcdc wrote:Source of the post ...
Another noob question. Is there a way to make the forum notify you with an email if you have replies to your posts?

YES. Go into your profile settings and select the "Board Preferences" tab, then on the left, the "Edit notifications" section.

It should look like this (albeit with your preferences selected):

CYO_notifications.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wgcdc
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2003 Carver 366 MY
Volvo 8.1 GI's
Location Atlanta

Postby wgcdc » February 9th, 2023, 8:24 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post
wgcdc wrote:Source of the post ...

YES. Go into your profile settings and select the "Board Preferences" tab, then on the left, the "Edit notifications" section.

It should look like this (albeit with your preferences selected):

CYO_notifications.jpg

Thank you very much, I looked all over, but clearly looked in the wrong place.

wgcdc
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2003 Carver 366 MY
Volvo 8.1 GI's
Location Atlanta

Postby wgcdc » February 9th, 2023, 8:29 pm

Phrancus wrote:Source of the post sure there is. but you don't want that.

because you want to check-in to the forum every day!

just kidding, I seem to recall that I turned some option in the profile or settings 'off' at some time. So I have to log in to keep up to date.

I don't mind so I login and after gravveling away the requests by one-time-visitors for brochures/manuals and such that I happened to have salvaged, I happily tend to the surge of PM's and emails telling, asking, requesting, demanding, for details and the one-solves-all solutions.

again kidding. As (I hope) you concluded. No surge. :blush:

I understand the need of the moment for a quick answer of many new ownders in the form of a how-to-and-all-will-be-well-forever. But it's just not there, it's not going to happen either. It's just a huge wish you have (and so many others) that a manufacturer takes care of you after you droppend $xxxxxxx.xx for a product. Sad, isn't it?

Well, lucky you! you found a forum where knowledgeable people ( and I mean KNOWLEDGE+able) people reside.

Never forget: what they give you in reply to your questions, doubts, fears and hopes. You owe them for that. Not in money but in repreciation and you can return the favor by joining and sharing your expirences.

That's not negative! You save time, money and a lot of worries. Thanks to this forum, to the members and to you.

to you?

Yes, you too can share what you learned, experienced and figured out over time.

Please feel free to share your experiences, this is the marine world: we help out where we can unless you're obviously leeching for personal gain. When we cannot; you're on your own. And when you share that what you figured out on your own, you are also part of the help to the next boater. Please don't underestimate your value to the coummunity.

Do the works that you need to do and enjoy your boat, I can assure you that it's much more enjoyment when you take care of problems thoroughly then when you cut corners .

That post made my day. I do love forums because helpful folks with experience are willing to share their knowledge and also the philosophers make it fun as well.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”