Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

-87 Carver 4207: Black water coming into toilet!?

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
steve&tammy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 4207

-87 Carver 4207: Black water coming into toilet!?

Postby steve&tammy » May 2nd, 2023, 7:33 pm

Hi all, thanks in advance for any and all help.
Ok, so forward toilet...just working through de-winterizing everything. Boat was recently out of water getting new bottom paint and everything was fine.
Boat was put back in water, I go to see it, walk in the forward head and there's water on the floor and the toilet is full.
I looked below the generator where the water inlet is connected to the seacock and the tube is NOT connected there. (They disconnect them for the winter).
I'm only saying this as there's only one other place (that I can think of!) that would bring water into the toilet and that's the black water tank.
I don't know why or how but it's full. I can run the toilet (again, not currently hooked up to the seacock water inlet) and it drains the toilet bowl but an hour later, it's full again
Please help!!
Thank you

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: -87 Carver 4207: Black water coming into toilet!?

Postby buster53 » May 2nd, 2023, 7:54 pm

First of all, you always pump out your holding tanks before you put your boat away for winter. Pump out your tank and do a rebuild kit for your head. It’s a job that needs to be done every so many years. Basically, your duckbill valve has gone bad allowing back water to come back

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 2nd, 2023, 9:14 pm

Ya back to the basics. Check your duckbill valve first. Would help to know the type of toilet you have....Crown? Sounds like the tank didn't get pumped out before winter or someone thinking they were filling the fresh water tank but filled the holding tank instead :-O

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 3rd, 2023, 10:49 am

Might also want to check the VENT for the blackwater tank to make sure it's clear. If there's no filter in the line then you can use a hose on the vent to force water back to a mostly empty tank (provided you also remove the pump-out cap so you don't pressurize the tank!). If there is a filter in the line you probably would have to take that out-of-circuit and check the rest of the parts individually.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » May 3rd, 2023, 5:10 pm

I’m also guessing you have the Raritan Crown heads. I used to have a 3807 with 2 Crowns. I did the rebuild kit on both. The duckbill is the primary part but other parts are included as well. Takes a couple hours and anyone comfortable turning a wrench can do it. If I recall, instructions were pretty clear. Empty your tank first and then flush with 1-2 gallons of fresh water.

Quick question, what was the water like that refilled the head and overflowed on the floor? Nice and clean or not nice and clean.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 3rd, 2023, 6:49 pm

Is the holding tank higher than the head? If not it shouldn't be coming from there.
Are you sure you don't have fresh water flush and a leaking solenoid?

Topic author United States of America
steve&tammy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 4207

Postby steve&tammy » May 4th, 2023, 8:03 am

The water rising into the toilet is "not nice water". I do keep looking for where else it could be coming from other than the black tank. I'm awaiting on the marina to get someone to empty it.
As mentioned in my original post, the inlet from the seacock is not currently connected.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 4th, 2023, 8:59 am

It seems to me there was a thread a while back with much the same problem....don't remember all the details but it had to do with the macerator and the overboard waste discharge system/ "y" valve as I remember it....

Is that something you have installed on your boat ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » May 4th, 2023, 9:58 am

steve&tammy wrote:The water rising into the toilet is "not nice water". I do keep looking for where else it could be coming from other than the black tank. I'm awaiting on the marina to get someone to empty it.
As mentioned in my original post, the inlet from the seacock is not currently connected.

Not giving you a hard time on this, but why are you waiting on the marina to do this? If this had happened to me, I would have immediately driven my boat over to the pump out dock and taken care of it.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”