Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Marine Air Sys VRP16K

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
Cork the Whine
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997, 355AC

Re: Marine Air Sys VRP16K

Postby Cork the Whine » May 24th, 2023, 7:50 am

Thank you!!! will advise.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 24th, 2023, 10:04 pm

A lot of good ideas here, but if the unit isn't turning on the water pump on a call for cooling, it is hopefully just the controller, or better yet the controller set up.
Make sure its set for auto fan and cooling mode. Drop the set point a few degrees below room temp and see if it fires up.
if not, I would swap controllers before you dig too deep into the compressor, as the water pump should run even if the compressor is failed or locked out.

Topic author United States of America
Cork the Whine
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997, 355AC

Postby Cork the Whine » June 1st, 2023, 6:16 pm

Good afternoon all! So I really apprecaite all the ideas and thoughts. Before I go on.... if anyone reads this please deenergize power to your A/C unit before any troubleshooting!!

After turing the power off to the unit at the circuit breaker and turning off the water pump circuit breaker. I checked the resistance of the klixon (checked ok, normally closed open), the high pressure switch (checked ok,normally closed to open). I then shorted the run capacitor and tested the capicator (checekd ok 25mfd). I then isolated the compressor motor and performed resistenace checks of the motors windigs (checked ok- there was some resistance). I called Marine Air Systems (Domectic) and requested the motors resistance data, they couldn't or wouldnt supply that data..... know a bit a electric motors some resistance is a good thing.

I connected everthing back up, took a look a the wiring diagram and determined that if I piggy backed Comp L1 to L1, and Comp L2 to L2, I could force the compressor to run and determine if the motor was good. I did the piggyback and briefly turned the unit CB on and I heard that beautiful humm and when I turned if off I heard the motor rotor wind down. OK so the compressor is good. (THIS WAS GREAT NEWS!)

With everything deenergized again, I lifted the units control board.... found the issue. Therewas a 5VDC, 30Amp single pole relay soldered on the board that allows the pump and compressor to run when energized, the relay gave up the ghost, there was a burnt pin and when I unsoldered relay and cut it open the contacts in the realy were shot (one too many cycles).

Found the board number, googled it and I found an updated replacement board on line. I ordered it from Wright Marine in the Tampa Area. Wayne is the BEST, great serviceand responsive, parts turn around was exceptional, I cant give this company enough KUDOS. Just fantastic. The retrofit kit for my AC unit is a Marine Air Passpot II to Passport I/O. The kit includes a new control board and a new unit controller, super, super easy to install.

Close the books on this one. Thanks for all the help!! Truly apprecaite it.

It's 85 outside and my salon is now a cool 72 after replacing the board. I truly apprecaite all hte suggestions, close the books on this one.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 2nd, 2023, 7:39 am

Great you got it fixed and also thank you for posting your findings to the forum.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 2nd, 2023, 9:10 pm

Great follow up post with useful info. Good job, and thanks :down: