Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2001 356 wash down question

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
MV Necessity
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 356 Aft Cabin

2001 356 wash down question

Postby MV Necessity » October 8th, 2023, 2:19 pm

IMG_1677.jpeg
HI everyone. First time poster here. I have a new to me 2001 356. On the bow (near the anchor roller), I have a wash down outlet. (See picture 1) On the aft deck, I have another wash down outlet (see picture 2). I assume that these are fresh water wash downs because the wash down pump breaker on my 12v panel is blanked (see picture 3).

When I open these outlets, I get nothing. I have left them open hoping to have air bleed out of the lines but I still get nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get water flowing through these outlets? Am I missing a valve somewhere? I appreciate everyone’s help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: 2001 356 wash down question

Postby Tireless » October 8th, 2023, 11:08 pm

My fresh water wash downs are looped into the boats main water system. If yours are fresh water wash down, they would run with your main water pressure switch on the panel. Ensure you have water in your main water holding tanks

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 9th, 2023, 6:49 am

By the description you gave it sure sounds like potable water wash downs. Reminds me of the first time I used those valves, could not understand how to operate them until I figured out they were quarter turn valves and not a standard turn a few revolutions to open or close spigot style valve. The plaque beside them should say fresh or raw water wash down. This is assuming they are the same or similar to the ones on my boat. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 9th, 2023, 12:21 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Could there be an isolation valve for this washdown system somewhere? I would guess it may be near a feed point from the main tank between the tank and the washdown valves so winterizing would be convenient. Any of the pumps are pressure triggered so when a valve opens you should hear a pump start ( if powered ), even a small leak will create intermittent pump cycles. I will say those plastic valves can break internally.

We had raw water wash downs and the pump just went bad ( no water and no noise), went down and clobbered it and got it working but had to be replaced....that system had a thru hull valve to isolate.

Hopefully someone with the same boat can help, but you never know what has been altered by previous owners etc.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » October 13th, 2023, 12:05 pm

I have a 2001, 356 as well. As mentioned above, both spigots are tied into the boat’s main water system…unless a previous owner did some modifications. What happens when you are connected to shore water? Both spigots should work when connected to shore water or drawing water from the onboard tank, assuming there is water in the tank and the pump is in working order. I had to replace my pump a couple years ago. Did it myself and it is NOT a fun job.
What about interior spigots, galley and heads…are they working? They all should be working or all NOT working.

FYI, one of my spigot handles broke, so I replaced both of them. After some searching, I found a universal one at Lowe’s that fit. Google Blue Hawk, part #0041960.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » October 13th, 2023, 5:50 pm

quick question...do you have an ice maker and sink on the aft deck? Are you getting water to it as the same water line feeds it and the aft wash down.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » October 15th, 2023, 4:19 pm

[quote="[url=https://www.carveryachtowners.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10246]

When I open these outlets, I get nothing. I have left them open hoping to have air bleed out of the lines but I still get nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get water flowing through these outlets? Am I missing a valve somewhere? I appreciate everyone’s help![/quote]

So, what’s the latest on this? Inquiring minds want to know.

MV Necessity
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby MV Necessity » October 17th, 2023, 5:40 pm

Sorry for the delay in updating this. I got hijacked by another project. All of the interior faucets work fine. I do have an ice maker on the aft deck and it also works fine. I feel like there has got to be a valve somewhere that I just haven’t found, yet. Or, It is possible that a previous owner disconnected these washdown lines for some reason (a leak perhaps). The water pump is behind and under the port engine. So, it looks like I’m going to have to get my head lamp and go bilge diving to see what I can find down there!

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » October 17th, 2023, 6:36 pm

Ok, do any faucets work on shore water? Do they work from internal tank and pump? We need better info.
If you need to replace the pump, I’m assuming it is mounted on the bulkhead between the engine room and aft cabin. If it is placed like mine is, you need to be a midget contortionist to change it out from inside the engine room. My boat has an opening in the bulkhead, I’m guessing about a 1’ - 1-1/2’ square. I changed mine out laying on the floor in the aft cabin with my head and arm inside the opening. If I recall, I could only get one arm inside so I had to do the job one handed. It was 3 years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy, but it was a very difficult job that took a couple hours to do.

MV Necessity
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby MV Necessity » October 18th, 2023, 10:25 am

Nothing works on shore water when the pump is not turned on. Except for the wash downs, everything works fine from the internal pump and tank. The hot water heater works great and as long as the pump is turned on, the faucets in the heads and galley all work great.

I know what opening you’re talking about in the aft cabin. I wondered if that would be the best way to get at the pump.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”