Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2001 356 wash down question

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 2001 356 wash down question

Postby bud37 » October 18th, 2023, 11:14 am

Maybe a suggestion.......Do yourself a favor and take the washdown valve/valves apart / remove, to see if they are for sure open as they appear on the outside. Ya never know, may save a lot of searching if they are broken shut inside.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » October 18th, 2023, 3:22 pm

Ok, something is definitely not right here. You get water from internal tank, but not shore water unless the pump is turned on. I’m taking a wild guess here, but I’m guessing when shore water is turned on, you are still pumping from the tank. Shore water does not go through the onboard pump…it bypasses the pump.
Good news, doesn’t sound like you have any pump issues and it does not need to be replaced.
If I recall, I had a shore water issue a few years ago. There is a fixture, like a back flow device just inside where you connect your shore water hose. Somehow, that was blocking water flow. I removed it and all was good.
As far as your wash downs go, you can probably access the backside of the bow one from the anchor locker and there is a small storage compartment next to the aft one you might be able to access. If I was on my boat I’d try to look around, but it will be another week or two before I go back to the boat.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » October 21st, 2023, 8:32 pm

MV Necessity wrote:Source of the post Nothing works on shore water when the pump is not turned on. Except for the wash downs, everything works fine from the internal pump and tank. The hot water heater works great and as long as the pump is turned on, the faucets in the heads and galley all work great.

Have you figured this out yet?

Topic author United States of America
MV Necessity
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 356 Aft Cabin

Postby MV Necessity » October 25th, 2023, 12:13 pm

UPDATE -

Good News - I figured out the problem and the fresh water washdown is now working perfectly.

Bad News - My problem was 100% user error. :-(

I started my investigation at the water pump and followed the lines out to try to find the issue. Turns out, I should have started at the faucets and worked my way back because the problem was at the faucet. While carefully investigating the faucets, I noticed that the screw in the middle of the valve was not turning when I turned the nut. So, I used a screwdriver the turn the screw and water started flowing. At some point in the future, I will probably change those faucets to a different design. But, for the time being, I’ll just be happy knowing that I figured out the problem. And, as long as I’m looking for rainbows, I learned a lot about the boat just by pulling open all the hatches to find out what was there!

Thanks to everyone who commented for your help!!

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » October 26th, 2023, 7:28 pm

Glad it all worked out. The faucets are decent, why not try the faucet knobs I told you about in an earlier post. Might make all the difference.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”