Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

86 4207 Galley Bilge Pump Replacement Help

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
Morningstar4207
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 4207 Carver Californian

86 4207 Galley Bilge Pump Replacement Help

Postby Morningstar4207 » January 1st, 2024, 7:52 pm

Happy New Year Carver family, we have an 86 4207. We're looking to replace our galley bilge pump, it has been replaced 3 times in the two years that we've owned her. What is your favorite pump and what capacity pump do you recommend? I do not have a freshwater bladder in my galley floor if that's helpful. My layout has a larger forward head/shower and my freshwater tank is under our bed in the aft cabin. Thank you in advance!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: 86 4207 Galley Bilge Pump Replacement Help

Postby Midnightsun » January 2nd, 2024, 5:58 am

3 times in 2 years is excessive to say the least. Are you referring to your potable water pump? You do say bilge pump but you are confusing me when you start talking about bladder, shower and fresh water tank.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Morningstar4207
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Morningstar4207 » January 2nd, 2024, 8:22 am

Midnightsun, I'm referring to the bilge pump. It may be an electrical issue, or possibly that the capacity of the pump is not high enough to keep up, or a combo of both. I only brought up the bladder, etc b/c the 4207 has several different layouts/models and mine seems less popular. It makes me wonder if perhaps other 4207's have a smaller bilge in the galley than I do. My galley bilge is fairly large.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » January 2nd, 2024, 8:31 am

IMHO the galley bilge pump should never really start up unless you have a rather large leak in the boat. I can tell you not one of my 4 bilge pumps has ever gone off except the rear bilge due to couple of shower box failures leading to an over flow. I need to test them yearly to make sure they all work just to be on the safe side if something dramatic were to happen. My point is if yours are failing that often they must be going off at very frequent rate. Solving the leak will probably fix the premature failures and personally I would start there. Have you checked your shower box pumps lately?
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 2nd, 2024, 9:00 am

What type of failure is occurring, motor won't run at all, or is trying to run but just hums? Or is it running but just not moving water? What brand and model has failed, same one all the time or different brands/models? Were they smart pumps (contain circuit board modules)? The most short life failures I've encountered have been with smart pumps. Also, are you adding any harsh chemicals into the bilge for cleaning like bleach? Bleach for example will eventually ruin pump seals.

Have you done any diagnostics yet? Before installing another one, I would do a voltage drop test with the same load as the unit that failed to see if the voltage drops below acceptable levels. If it does, the unit would still work albeit at reduced efficiency but it's life would be shortened.

Are you taking on enough water that's causing the pump to cycle more often than expected?

Morningstar4207
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Morningstar4207 » January 2nd, 2024, 10:04 am

Midnightsun, agreed. We do have a freshwater leak that empties into that bilge. We're getting ready to repair it and will replace the bilge pump at the same time. Thanks for your quick response.

Morningstar4207
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Morningstar4207 » January 2nd, 2024, 10:12 am

Viper, thanks for your response. We do have a leak. We thought it was repaired properly and replaced the bilge pump the last time we believed we repaired the leak, but maybe the volume of water it continued to take on burned it out? With the current leak we are filling our bilge every two weeks. We have been using a 1500 Rule Automatic (that's what the previous owner had & left back ups onboard). The pump just completely stops working, as if it's getting no power.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » January 2nd, 2024, 8:35 pm

I would do some diagnostics before buying another pump. The first thing you need to check is if there is power at the pump. You say it's an "...Automatic..." pump, will it work if you switch it on Manual? There should be bilge pump breakers on your breaker panel or elsewhere, ensure they are not tripped.

Morningstar4207
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Morningstar4207 » January 3rd, 2024, 7:32 pm

Viper, yes we checked, it doesn't work manually either. There is no power at the pump currently. Thank you!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » January 3rd, 2024, 8:43 pm

Looks like you need to trace back and find why you have no power to the pump. If it's a 3 wire setup, you'll have a ground wire, one wire that has continuous power (for the float), and one wire that supplies power when you turn the pump switch to manual. Again, make sure bilge pump breakers haven't tripped.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”