Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Blackwater pumpout question

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Blackwater pumpout question

Postby KyleR » February 14th, 2024, 8:16 pm

As we're preparing to cross to the Bahamas in a month or so, I have heard some real crazy stories of people paying as much as $135 for a blackwater tank pumpout - and on boats with smaller holding tanks than ours! It seems pumpout locations have become few-and-far-between, and quite expensive if you're in some areas.

Unfortunately we do not have the installed option to pump directly overboard and I don't really have the time to add an overboard discharge system in the time frame I'm working with.

As such, I started looking around and ran across the following:

https://www.blackwaterbazooka.com/

Seems like an interesting concept in that you can just connect it to your pumpout fitting, drop the discharge hose overboard, hookup electricity and start pumping. (Yes, I'm aware of the 3-mile rule and no discharge zones - this based on the assumption that I'm in an area where overboard discharge is allowed.) :-D

Anyone ever use anything like this or have any other suggestions? My initial concerns are:

1. The discharge hose looks a little small in this particular design, however the pump does macerate so maybe that's not a big deal?

2. It says the pump generates 5ft of suction head, but with the blackwater tanks in the bilge and the pumpout connection on the topside deck, I'm not sure if this will generate the lift necessary to adequately pump out the tank. Thoughts?

If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears! Thanks in advance!!

Kyle
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Blackwater pumpout question

Postby waybomb » February 15th, 2024, 12:42 pm

All I can add is that this is going to be a messy deal. How will you clean it before stowing it?
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 15th, 2024, 12:53 pm

Seems to be designed for boats out of water more than anything else. If you are handy, a macerator pump, a Y valve, a few feet of hose, some clamps and a thru-hull fitting is not that complicated to install and I am sure it would cost much less than that odd device.

Looks like the fresh water hook up does the cleaning. I would think the investment would barely pay for itself if this is only going to be used for the Bahamas trip.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » February 15th, 2024, 1:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback. The permanently installed/thru-hull option is definitely preferred (and well within my abilities) but a haulout is not on my radar until much later this year - after our trip to the Bahamas. I'm not a fan of drilling holes near the waterline while in the water. :-O

I would probably build my own knock-off version. Thinking of using a Whale Urchin manual pump and assorted fittings. Probably under $150 all in. Definitely has its pitfalls but would give some flexibility if we couldn't find a reasonably priced pumpout spot.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

United States of America
paulr
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 396 CY Aft Cabin 2001 8.1 Crusaders

Postby paulr » February 15th, 2024, 5:04 pm

I know your boat very well. If the lift of the pump is 5 feet I very much doubt if the waste will will make up to the deck plate as it is probably 7 feet on both waste tanks. I have a hard enough time pumping out the 396 Carver at the pump out station which has significant vacuum.

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » February 15th, 2024, 5:31 pm

I have a hard enough time pumping out the 396 Carver at the pump out station which has significant vacuum.

Thanks Paul. I had similar experiences early on so I checked the blackwater tank vent filters and found them completely blocked. Both filters! I removed them and hooked up my shopvac and nothing was passing through them!! :-O

After much research I came to the conclusion that a properly maintained system with proper regular treatment did not need an exhaust filter - so off they came.

Pumpouts became much easier and faster. Obviously you will still run across systems with poor suction, but overall this made a huge improvement in our pumpouts. And no smell!! :-D
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 16th, 2024, 1:15 pm

Just to add, especially when you have a vacu flush waste system. That 1.5" hose with perhaps 20" of vacuum will move a lot of air, the only way to replace that is thru the 5/8"vent lines in the older system vacuflush, or if you have a tank saver then it will pass air to keep the waste tank from being damaged. As Kyler said those vents need to be clear. I like the newer systems with the much larger I think 1.5" vent lines, tanks breathe better like that.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 16th, 2024, 3:27 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post I like the newer systems with the much larger I think 1.5" vent lines, tanks breathe better like that.

We have this on our Carver. Vent lines are the same size as the rest of the lines at 1 1/2" ID. They also installed tank savers which makes the system pretty much safe no matter what you do. All of this is factory, no mods done by me.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » February 16th, 2024, 3:37 pm

We have this on our Carver. Vent lines are the same size as the rest of the lines at 1 1/2" ID. They also installed tank savers which makes the system pretty much safe no matter what you do. All of this is factory, no mods done by me.

Same on our 2002 396....
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 17th, 2024, 10:53 am

Hans and Kyle....I consider your boats as newer... :down:

More of a comment for folk that have older systems or have retrofits with small vent line sizes who may be encountering issues. I believe Kyler's post helped bring that to light.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”