Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Stink from heads

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author
glazingguru
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 355 Aft Cabin

Stink from heads

Postby glazingguru » August 28th, 2014, 9:28 am

I have Raritan electric toilets, original equipment and they use salt water. They need to be rebuilt I think because especially the aft head dosent go down well. I have some kits to replace seals etc.
Anyway, they both stink up the bilges, especially the forward head. I wonder if the vent is somehow not properly venting to the outside and venting into the bilge. When the holding tanks reach about half full and we close up the boat it stinks in the boat sometimes as well.
We have tried every kind of tank additive and some work better than others but the heads still stink and the more full they get the more they stink.
Someone said to change them to run on fresh water, but I doubt that will really cure this problem.
Anyone else have this problem? Or a possible solution? Hopefully without throwing a whole lot more money away.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: Stink from heads

Postby Lyndon670 » August 29th, 2014, 1:23 am

If you have tried all treatments, its most likely the hoses running from your head to the holding tank. There is a simple test to identiy if the hoses are "weeping". Take a clean rag and wrap it tightly around the hose somewhere between the toilet and the holding tank. Leave it there for a couple of days. When you next check it, unwrap it from the tank hose and smell it. If it smells - you need to replace the hose.

Have you tried Noflex Digestor? I have been boating for years and thought I had used everything too. Then I was recently given a sample of this stuff. It cleaned my lines and my tank like nothing else I have ever seen.

Might be worth a shot.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Topic author
glazingguru
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 355 Aft Cabin