Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Toilet doesn't want to flush. Raritan Crown Head

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author
jwrape
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 79' Carver 28 Mariner Twin Pleasurecraft 302's (For Sale $12,300)
85' Carver 3207 Aft with Mercury 5.7L

Toilet doesn't want to flush. Raritan Crown Head

Postby jwrape » September 16th, 2014, 12:21 pm

I have a Raritan Crown Head, I took it home, took it completly apart and cleaned it. Found that it was really in good shape. I replaced the Joker valve with a 3 way instead of the single split and it worked well for about 2 months, even taking (poo well), then it started having a really hard time flushing. It even has a hard time flushing water. I snaked the entire line. I then replaced the entire 1 1/2" line to the tank, replaced the vent, replaced the water lines on the toilet, and rinsed the tank vent line out. I'm now down to staring at the black water tank wondering if the intake line should not have a 90 degree on the line where it enters the tank. Should it be a straight line in? It currently is a 90 degree elbow right before it enters the tank. I am wondering if that is slowing it down or clogging it down. Also should the new line go up hill shortly behind the toilet and then back down to the tank for higher gravity pull towards the tank?
Mine looks like this picture but my hose goes into the tank with a 90 degree elbow instead of straight in like this picture

The set up in my boat is a refit from factory because the factory was a pump toilet and these are electric, so somewhere a long the line someone put these in. So if someone knows how they should be installed properly, you advice would be appreciated.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Toilet doesn't want to flush. Raritan Crown Head

Postby waybomb » September 16th, 2014, 12:39 pm

Did you replace the discharge impeller and macerator piece when you had it apart?

The newer pump parts use a centrifugal impeller instead of a rubber vane impeller. When using the new impeller, there is a large rubber washer "wall" which creates the cavity for the impeller to work. Then outboard of that is a new style macerator.

If any of those three parts are not in good shape, I do not see how the thing could flush well.

A 90 degree turn cannot, in my mind, cause problems, especially if everything was working fine at one time.

What about the supply side? If you do not get enough water to help move everything along, it may not flush well either.

If it were me, I'd buy a complete rebuild kit (supply and discharge) and install it.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author
jwrape
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby jwrape » September 16th, 2014, 12:53 pm

waybomb wrote:Did you replace the discharge impeller and macerator piece when you had it apart?

The newer pump parts use a centrifugal impeller instead of a rubber vane impeller. When using the new impeller, there is a large rubber washer "wall" which creates the cavity for the impeller to work. Then outboard of that is a new style macerator.

If any of those three parts are not in good shape, I do not see how the thing could flush well.

A 90 degree turn cannot, in my mind, cause problems, especially if everything was working fine at one time.

What about the supply side? If you do not get enough water to help move everything along, it may not flush well either.

If it were me, I'd buy a complete rebuild kit (supply and discharge) and install it.

My macerator is a HARD plastic one that has two blades on it, the rear one is larger than the front and they are in like new condition. I do believe there is a rubber washer behind them but I am not sure if it is the same thing you are referring to or not.

The Supply line gives tons of water if I turn it wide open. I can fill the bowl up almost instantly.
When I first replaced the Joker valve it was flushing perfectly for those 2 months and then went to crap and almost instantly went bad.
Could a Joker valve go bad that fast and make it flush badly that fast? The water is bleeding back into the bowl as well.

I changed from the standard
to the three way

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » September 16th, 2014, 1:16 pm

Check the vent line and fitting at tank. You may have overfilled the holding tank at one point and partially clogged the vent system.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author
jwrape
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby jwrape » September 16th, 2014, 1:27 pm

waybomb wrote:Check the vent line and fitting at tank. You may have overfilled the holding tank at one point and partially clogged the vent system.

That could be a possibility. I will check that for sure. I know I have filed it to the top once before.

Topic author
jwrape
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby jwrape » September 25th, 2014, 10:07 am

Well i did find that it was in fact the Joker valve. Both were still in tact but one was full of toilet paper. Both once replaced started working properly and correctly. The old ones looked just like they did when they went in but as soon as the original Raritan single slit joker valves went in, as opposed to the 3-slit Jabsco, and I re-checked the *inner'ds* of the toilet for good opertaion the toilets started working great. I'm happy, that's all that counts.....

I did in the process of verifying operation have to grab a video of my Maceator in operation to make sure my set screws were still set and had not came loose like last time and the blades were still spinning.

I will appoligize for the gross content but here it is for those of you that want to see the maceator in action.
http://youtu.be/2kTb7bYJ4g4?list=UU9CT249I05DyxqKD1RpYfpQ

United States of America
JvilleJeremy68
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 57 Voyager Sky Lounge

Postby JvilleJeremy68 » December 10th, 2019, 10:15 am

Hi everyone,

You guys seem knowledgeable as to Raritan heads. I have a Jabsco toilet that lasted me nearly 10 years, but which has been having problems with insufficient flushing capabilities and consistently getting clogged...

I'm not very handy in this area, so unfortunately, have had to call the plumber several times, who last time suggested changing the head.

I've been looking into Raritan heads, but I see there are electrical and manual units, and different styles of each. If you were to purchase a new Raritan toilet, which model would you go with? https://citimarinestore.com/en/364-raritan-marine-toilets. In this particular case, considering the range of prices not ending up too high, price is not a problem.

Also, have you heard anything about Headhunter toilets? Ran into them at this years FLIBS, and seemed like a decent company. Have a friend who said I should go with them... any feedback on this would be much appreciated as well.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 10th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Jville - I have a Raritan Crown electric head. I like it because the macerator really grinds up everything. The down side is the noise for night time head visits. The Raritan is a little noisy and can wake others up. There is no sewer smell at all. I would get a slight odor from the manual flush Jabsco I had on a previous boat. Very reliable though, still original from '95. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 10th, 2019, 6:38 pm

New Raritan .....the Marine Elegance, fresh water flush with the control pad.....works just like the house...that worked for me.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
JvilleJeremy68
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 57 Voyager Sky Lounge

Postby JvilleJeremy68 » December 11th, 2019, 11:57 am

Very reliable though, still original from '95. 8-) er
Man, that is a long laster! Definitely going forward with the purchase.

the Marine Elegance
Seen a good bit about this model. Will be looking into it.

Thank you guys for the feedback, much appreciated.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”