Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver Mariner Automatic Shore Power / Generator Transfer Switch

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Carver Mariner Automatic Shore Power / Generator Transfer Switch

Postby km1125 » April 17th, 2018, 1:52 pm

Nharrison5 wrote:Source of the post
mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post Well no one putting a solar array in too?

Not sure there would be a place in n the boat to place them. If you have them, where did you install them?

You could probably get about 1000 watts of power if you filled the top of the hardtop!

(of course, that won't work for a 33SS, but for the 355/356 guys....)

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » April 17th, 2018, 8:40 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post
Nharrison5 wrote:Source of the post
mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post Well no one putting a solar array in too?

Not sure there would be a place in n the boat to place them. If you have them, where did you install them?

You could probably get about 1000 watts of power if you filled the top of the hardtop!

(of course, that won't work for a 33SS, but for the 355/356 guys....)

Ok. That would be really neat if I could work it out. But, you are right, it wouldn’t

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 18th, 2018, 10:36 am

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 18th, 2018, 10:48 am

Imagine how much electricity you could save on a 22kt cruise!!! :-O

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Postby amanphoto » April 21st, 2018, 5:04 am

Just for reference. This is what the inside of the panel box looks like. The wires are nice and neet and well labeled.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » April 22nd, 2018, 11:05 am

amanphoto wrote:Source of the post Just for reference. This is what the inside of the panel box looks like. The wires are nice and neet and well labeled.

Sorry I derailed your post. I think the answer to your initial question is listed above in other posts. Seeing the answer in a photo would go a long way.

I think maybe we would both benefit by having someone post a picture of what the AC wiring looks like from their inverter into the panel. I have found many diagrams online, but no pictures.

United States of America
PhilH
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver Californian 45 M/Y, 1990 Cat 3208 diesels

Postby PhilH » April 23rd, 2018, 1:37 am

Tom: Not sure I agree with you. A decent brand of inverter rated for 2000 watts will usually handle surges of 4000 watts for 1-3 seconds, plenty of time to start the compressor. My old inverter (pure sine wave) started my full size fridge, ran an icemaker full time, and a small deep freezer. So if your wiring is solid and you have plenty of battery reserve, I think it unlikely all 3 would ever be starting at exactly the same time. Just be sure you have plenty of battery reserve capacity. That's important. ps, just checked, a new, full size household fridge by LG uses about 600 watts running. Triple that and you still have plenty of reserve. Just my opinion

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 23rd, 2018, 8:41 pm

I would definitely check the surge rating and the voltage output while in the surge zone, a good inverter will have a chart that shows how far the out put voltage drops when operating above rated capacity.
The average compressor draws 250% of rated current during start up, if you have full rated voltage, drop the voltage the current raises and the duration of increased current increases.
Will a good 2000 watt inverter start a boat sized ice maker, sure. Will it put added load on the start relay and start windings of the compressor, again sure. Will it shorten the life, most likley.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » May 5th, 2018, 9:49 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post I would definitely check the surge rating and the voltage output while in the surge zone, a good inverter will have a chart that shows how far the out put voltage drops when operating above rated capacity.
The average compressor draws 250% of rated current during start up, if you have full rated voltage, drop the voltage the current raises and the duration of increased current increases.
Will a good 2000 watt inverter start a boat sized ice maker, sure. Will it put added load on the start relay and start windings of the compressor, again sure. Will it shorten the life, most likley.

Probably not worth connecting the ice maker to the inverter then.

Return to “Electrical”