Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kohler generator for dummies, questions

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Kohler generator for dummies, questions

Postby Viper » April 19th, 2018, 8:42 pm

I think Tom was right on...fuel is definitely polarity sensitive, but it doesn't matter which way, it'll still go BOOM ;-)

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 19th, 2018, 8:42 pm

Does the fuel pump run?

United States of America
Keith S
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38 Super Sport

Postby Keith S » April 28th, 2018, 8:48 am

I missed your post, a new thread probably should have been started for a new subject.
The 7.5R was a real workhorse in its day, but obsolete and ancient today. As others have stated, does the fuel pump run? Disconnect the discharge and be sure it is moving fuel. The cube pumps actually have a circuit board in them and don't like reverse polarity. If the pump is working, rap the bowl of the carb, they float could be stuck.
It needs to be mentioned that the fuel pump must be USCG approved for ignition protection. It also is a requirement that the pump can only run when the engine is running, so it needs to be wired through an oil pressure switch. It also must be mounted within 12" of the engine and all fuel lines you install should be USCG approved.

United States of America
StDuckie
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991 3607 Aft Cabin Cummins 6BTA

Postby StDuckie » May 18th, 2018, 3:03 pm

I am a new 1991 3607 owner and have questions regarding 8 KW Kohler generator.

I read that a solenoid automatically recognizes that genset is on and switches off the shore power…is that correct?

I have disconnected the shore power cords and when I attempt to start genset it starts momentarily, then shuts off and there’s a noise coming from inside the main electrical panel…HELP! :banghead:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 18th, 2018, 6:38 pm

if it hasn't run in a while you may need to hold it to start for a few seconds after it fires up. It may take a few tries till it takes off due to old fuel etc. Until you get it to run turn off the 120v breakers in your panel so it doesn't see a load until it has run for at least a few minutes.

If you can't get it to keep running after a few tries then you have another problem.

Let us know.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 18th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Yes, there are relays that switch both Line #1 and Line #2 to the generator after the generator starts running. If the generator won't stay running on it's own, you need to figure that out first.

Check oil and oil pressure on the genset. When was the last time the impellor was replaced? Is there water flow through the genset? When was the last time it was run?

Once the generator stays running, then you can concentrate on the relays if you are having trouble getting power to either or both of the AC power panels.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » July 1st, 2018, 9:27 pm

Ok, I have a Kohler 7.3E-CB. Yesterday, I ran the unit for about 30 minutes, mostly running one AC unit and both AC units for 5-10 minutes.
Genset shut down. Restarted and ran for a minute or two before shutting down again. This happened several times and would only run a minute or so. After 5-6 restarts, it would only run for a few seconds before shutting down. Just bought this boat in March and haven't had any problems until today.
I checked to make sure my oil level was good. What's next...replace fuel filter maybe? Any other suggestions?

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » July 1st, 2018, 10:01 pm

I might add, tried to start up today and wouldn't even start at all. I have about 1/2 tank of gas so that shouldn't be the problem. I know when that tank gets down to about 1/4, it won't pick up.
Correct me if I'm wrong...doesn't Carver usually use the port tank for the genset?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 2nd, 2018, 11:19 am

Buster, if you want to eliminate something...the next time the gen runs for a while and then shuts down, don't do anything else except turn off all power, remove the float bowl and see what is in there.....if no fuel then you can check that side of it that controls or regulates the pump......I believe there are many things that can shut these things down, can't help with the electronic side.
Lots of boats have port side, you will have to trace yours out, mine has both tanks with a valve to control.....if there is an antisiphon valve at the tank in your gen fuel line might be worth checking first. Changing the fuel filters won't hurt. You could also run it from an external tank to eliminate the boat system as a problem....thats kinda the way I might approach it.....good luck man.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » July 2nd, 2018, 11:57 am

Thanks bud

Return to “Electrical”