Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Cummins diesel batteries

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
rgaidies
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver CMY 43

Cummins diesel batteries

Postby rgaidies » September 17th, 2019, 9:29 am

My batteries are done.
I disconnected each battery, load tested and all registered as bad.
I am now looking at replacing all 4 batteries but want to make an educated choice.
Reading many articles on battery selection has only left me more confused.
My choice is now down to a MotoMaster Nautilus Ultra Group 31 AGM Deep Cycle Battery
1000 marine crank amps, 105 amp hours, 200 minutes reserve capacity
The price range of batteries leads me to believe that higher price may be better quality but I am skeptical after my research.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Dare to discover by losing sight of the shore!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Cummins diesel batteries

Postby Viper » September 17th, 2019, 5:19 pm

A couple of things;
- first make sure your current battery charger is designed or has the option to charge AGM batteries.
- don't know what size engines you have but the above batteries are only 800 CCA, you may want to consider something beefier like 1000 CCA
- AGMs are less prone to voltage drops and can handle starting and discharges better than flooded types but you may want to consider Start batteries for the engines and Deep Cycle batteries for house loads

Personally I'm not a fan of that brand but they're definitely a good price point!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 17th, 2019, 5:35 pm

rgaidies wrote:Source of the post My batteries are done.
I disconnected each battery, load tested and all registered as bad.
I am now looking at replacing all 4 batteries but want to make an educated choice.
Reading many articles on battery selection has only left me more confused.
My choice is now down to a MotoMaster Nautilus Ultra Group 31 AGM Deep Cycle Battery
1000 marine crank amps, 105 amp hours, 200 minutes reserve capacity
The price range of batteries leads me to believe that higher price may be better quality but I am skeptical after my research.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

I agree with Viper......for the diesels you want start batteries only.....then you can use deep cycle for the house loads.........check out Total battery in Barrie, they have a few different lines and could maybe help with your choice..
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » September 17th, 2019, 6:21 pm

+1 on Total Battery in Barrie.

Don't get stuck on the AGM type, they're great batteries but I'd rather spend my budget on a really good set of flooded batteries than spend the same budget on a cheap set of AGMs, there's a difference.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 17th, 2019, 7:10 pm

I have gone the AGM route however have gone back to typical wet cell or your standard battery if you prefer. AGM is way over estimated IMHO.
Walmart has group 31 batteries, installed 4 of these to handle thrusters and starting, could not be happier. House bank consists of dual Trojan L16’s for total of 435 ah.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/everstart- ... 0195362471
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » September 17th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Hans, are you using that very battery at 800 MCA for your D6s?

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » September 17th, 2019, 9:58 pm

No question that AGM's are very good batteries, but I still believe that flooded is the best bang for your buck

Topic author Canada
rgaidies
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver CMY 43

Postby rgaidies » September 18th, 2019, 5:52 am

Below are the details on the battery
specs claim 1370 marine crank amps
With a 48 month free replacement I'm thinking these are adequate.
My vessel only has 4 batteries "not" including the generator start battery.
At some point I may isolate house from starter but as I just purchased the vessel i'm not inclined to do that just yet.
With the diesel generator my type of boating should provide me all the power I need.
However good points and advice, especially charger capability for AGM batteries, as I hadn't considered that.
Much thanks to those that offered their input.

MotoMaster Nautilus Ultra XD Group 31 High Performance AGM Deep Cycle Battery's 99.99% pure lead AGM (absorbed glass mat) technology and precision robotic assembly to deliver extreme power, endurance and reliability
Capable of over 400 charge/discharge cycles to 80% depth of discharge and over 900 cycles at 50% depth of discharge - that's more than 2x the cycle life of regular AGM batteries and 4X the cycle life of conventional flooded deep cycle batteries
More Useable Power: Unlike conventional flooded batteries that should never be taken beyond 50% depth of discharge, pure lead AGM technology can withstand deep discharges allowing you to take advantage of more of the battery's rated amp hour
Rapid Recharging: Accepts the maximum amount of amps that an alternator or battery charger can deliver for astonishingly fast recharges
Clean, Safe and Truly Maintenance-free: No messy or dangerous acid spills, can be mounted in virtually any position, no gassing (under normal charging), never requires water to be added and brass terminals that will never build corrosion
Extremely Low Self-Discharge: Stores for up to 2 years on a full charge with no loss of capacity, ideal for off-season storage
Extreme Vibration Resistance: Up to 28X more vibration resistant than a conventional marine battery to handle the roughest waters or terrain
Longest Life: Up to 2x longer service life than regular AGM batteries and 6x longer than conventional flooded batteries
Group size: 31
Pulse crank amps, 1370 marine crank amps, 103 amp hours, 220 minute reserve capacity
Dimensions: 13" L x 6-3/4" W x 9-3/4" H (33 x 17 x 63.5 )
Dare to discover by losing sight of the shore!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 18th, 2019, 7:06 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Hans, are you using that very battery at 800 MCA for your D6s?

Yep.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » September 21st, 2019, 1:10 pm

Probably not that bad since you're running four of them but I'm pretty sure the recommended minimum per VP for a D6 is 2 x 800 CCA. I think the single battery recommendation is around 1100-1200 CCA. 800 MCA will only be about 640 CCA. You're probably fine with 4 of them otherwise one might be taxing the batteries and/or starters, and have the ECU and related systems experience brownouts/voltage drops during startup....FWIW

Return to “Electrical”