Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Power panel amp question

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Power panel amp question

Postby Viper » September 15th, 2021, 7:32 am

The ammeters should be reading more than that even if the scale isn't ideal. Pull the panel back and check how the ammeters get their signal. Some are hardwired while others use an inductive pickup. If it's an inductive pickup built into the back of the meter, it usually just accommodates a wire clipped into/running through it. It's not uncommon for the wire to pop out of place. When this happens, the meter won't work. Other than that, check connections, if everything looks fine, clean and secure, it's likely a problem with the meter. If they have failed, consider getting digital ones, they have a few advantages.

The lamps used on the panel are neon bulbs which dim over the years until they finally stop working completely. If that's the case, replace them with 120 volt LED indicators.

United States of America
JohnS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2003 350 Mariner

Re: Power panel amp question

Postby JohnS » October 5th, 2021, 4:36 pm

I replaced both mine this last weekend and all is good. Here are the one's I used. The only difference was the posts on the new meters were slightly larger so I had to crimp on new ring terminals, no big deal.

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/shur ... rer=search

Return to “Electrical”