Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Location of GFCI outlet for External Receptacles on 2008 Marquis 59

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
Perspective
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2008 Marquis 59

Location of GFCI outlet for External Receptacles on 2008 Marquis 59

Postby Perspective » October 18th, 2021, 9:41 pm

I have a Marquis 59 2008 which I've owned for a month. The outlets on the flybridge have no power although the breaker for them "External Receptacles" is on. I believe it must be the GFCI outlet on the circuit which is tripped - but I can't for the life of me find it! The owners manual for an older 2004 Marquis says the GFCI outlet for that circuit is in the aft cockpit area, but my model doesn't have one there, so it must be somewhere else. Does anybody know where it is on their 2008 Marquis 59?

Thanks,
Rick
Marquis 59 - "Perspective"

Life's not a dress rehearsal.....

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: Location of GFCI outlet for External Receptacles on 2008 Marquis 59

Postby buster53 » October 18th, 2021, 11:21 pm

Two friends at our marina had the exact same problem. I was able to go on both boats and in a manner of 5-10 minutes, I was able to find their GFCI outlets.
Just keep looking and it’s probably in an out of the way, well hidden spot.

Topic author Canada
Perspective
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Perspective » October 19th, 2021, 2:03 pm

buster53 wrote:Source of the post Two friends at our marina had the exact same problem. I was able to go on both boats and in a manner of 5-10 minutes, I was able to find their GFCI outlets.
Just keep looking and it’s probably in an out of the way, well hidden spot.

Thanks. I'm actually an electrical engineer - and my wife and I looked for 2 hours yesterday and still couldn't find it. It's strange that all the Marquis models have a GFCI power outlet shown in the aft cockpit area but our model doesn't have one. Will just have to keep looking! I'm sure when we find it, we'll go duh, there it is!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 19th, 2021, 5:32 pm

They do hide them good. I helped a friend last year with a similar issue. You'd think the GFCI would be the first in a string of outlets and physically closer to the main panel. Not on his. In two separate circuits, they ran the wire to overhead cabinets in the heads, one above the shower, for the GFCI, then ran back towards the panel feeding 3 or 4 more outlets. In neither case was there a "need" to have them in the cabinets. In fact, in one case right after the GFCI there was an outlet in the bottom of that same cabinet about8 inches away. It was in the bottom of the cabinet so when the cabinet was closed you could use the outlet for something like a hair dryer. Why they didn't just mount the GFCI there I'll never know.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » October 20th, 2021, 9:02 am

Ok, just a thought…
Do you have an ice maker? If so, pull it out of its storage cubicle. There is probably an outlet behind it. My boat has “cabinets” for TV’s. On one of them, there is a panel underneath that has to be removed to access the outlet. How about one behind the galley refrigerator or microwave. Above deck frig?
As mentioned, look very closely inside all cabinets. Any chance there is one in the engine room or any below deck spaces?
I’m sure that boat has a washer/dryer. You may have to pull them away from the bulkhead to look. Any other appliances?

Topic author Canada
Perspective
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Perspective » September 18th, 2022, 7:06 pm

For other Marquis owner's benefit, I finally found the mystery GFCI for the flybridge AC outlets. The owners manual said it was in the stern cockpit area - but no, it wasn't. Sitting in the engine room one afternoon, talking with a mechanic, I gazed up at the ceiling, and on the ceiling beam, above the port engine shaft, was a GFCI outlet!! I pressed it, and presto, flybridge outlets are working now. Definitely not where I would have thought to look, but there it is.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 19th, 2022, 11:03 am

Wow. Good find!! Thanks for coming back an updating the thread too.. I'm sure another member will benefit!

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » September 24th, 2022, 12:58 pm

Yes - thank you for posting what you found! Too many people start threads asking questions but never come back with the solutions! Even if the response is nearly a year later ;-) - there is still great value for the community! Thanks again!!
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Return to “Electrical”