Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bilge Fans - independent or ganged

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

United States of America
vtcats
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006 46 Voyager
Volvo D9-500’s

Re: Bilge Fans - independent or ganged

Postby vtcats » June 3rd, 2020, 6:35 pm

Speaking of bilge fans, I spent maybe 2 hours today twisted like a pretzel attempting to replace one of my 4 I have on the boat. I’ve come to the conclusion it will be easier to cut a 2x2 hole in the side of the boat, darn it. Joking aside
I may have to remove the large diesel fuel hose that connects right there at the tank. It’s the main thing preventing me from getting both arms/hands into that space on the side.
Stretching and twisting and using mostly one hand goes only so far. Had to give up (for now) with one side side of the connection point still attached and one end of the bilge hose disconnected.
2006 46 Voyager
Mallets Bay, VT

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » August 3rd, 2022, 6:17 am

The issue is that the Fan #1 circuit breaker has to carry the load of all 4 fans (because of the ganging), and it pops when all four fans are running. Any combination of 3 fans (e.g., #1, 2, 3, or #1, 2, 4, etc...always requiring #1 to be on), will run without problem.

Just to let you know what I found out about this. The fans are not ganged, each having own independent power. However the power from Fan #1 activates a relay on all of the fans to allow the master fan switch to work. So, Fan #1 needs to be on to allow any fan to be on, but not all power is running through the Fan #1 circuit.

Okay - I realize this thread is super old - but when I read through it the one question I didn't see answered was about the "4th" fan breaker tripping when all four fans are running. The OP did later state that Fan #1 is not carrying all the load as initially thought and that it was a relay that Fan #1 actuated to allow the other fans to run. Just curious if you ever determined why the "4th" fan that got turned on would trip its breaker? Thanks!
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » August 3rd, 2022, 7:01 am

Probable causes are a seized bearing or worn out #4 blower or short on #4 wiring.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » August 3rd, 2022, 9:53 pm

I considered about the seized bearing but in the OP's examples he actually says "(e.g., #1, 2, 3, or #1, 2, 4, etc...always requiring #1 to be on), will run without problem."

That indicates that all four fans are working - they just can't be run at the same time.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

United States of America
paulr
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 396 CY Aft Cabin 2001 8.1 Crusaders

Postby paulr » February 6th, 2023, 9:25 pm

I have a newly aquired 2001 396. The marine surveyor ripped this boat up pretty good because he could'nt find the forward or aft bidlge pumps. hopefully someone can tell me how to access them for testing.
Thanks

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » February 7th, 2023, 4:46 am

you may want to start a new topic about your bilge pump quest. This is an old topic.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Return to “Electrical”