Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Battery Blow-up

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
crquisto
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 406 Aft Cabin, twin 7.4 gas Mercruisers - Flyboy II

Battery Blow-up

Postby crquisto » May 19th, 2015, 12:41 am

I was doing some work in the engine compartment today and found one of my three batteries had blown itself to smitherines. The other two batts are bulged out on the sides. Clearly an overcharging issue, I'd say, but if anyone thinks otherwise, I'd like to know. Didn't have vinegar handy to neutralize the acid, so I diluted with a lot of water and vacuumed it out. Will spray with vinegar tomorrow. Initial thought was to replace all three batts and what I suspect is a faulty battery charger. However, in reading the manual, it says the battery selector should be switched between 1 and 2, and not left in BOTH because the charger can't correctly assess battery charge if it is. I bought it with BOTH selected and have always left it there. Before I dump $700+ into a battery charger, can anyone tell me: 1)is it likely a switchology problem (BOTH vs 1 or 2) caused this problem? And (2) how should I check my charger to see if it's bad?

crquisto
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Battery Blow-up

Postby crquisto » May 19th, 2015, 12:42 am

PS. Carver 405

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 19th, 2015, 8:35 am

Cant help with the charger but on your clean up.....vinegar is mildly acidic so won't be effective, so you need a base which would be baking soda, that will neutralize the acid spill from the battery, it will fizz up when it encounters acid....Mike
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

crquisto
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby crquisto » May 19th, 2015, 2:48 pm

Thanks, Bud37. No fizz, so I guess my wTer wash downs worked. On the charger, I called Charles Marine Electric tech support And got the lowdown on charger test. Also found out the charger can be refurbished if necessary go about a quarter the cost of a new one and that they haven't really changed much in the past 15 years.

Return to “Electrical”