Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 350 Mariner Battery 1... 2..... Both

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Carver 350 Mariner Battery 1... 2..... Both

Postby feeez » June 15th, 2015, 10:27 am

Before I submit to the $110/hour mechanic at the marina solution, I would greatly appreciate some feed back on this. Please excuse the length of the following.

My 2001 350 mariner has the batteries set up as follows.

The battery switch in the salon safety breaker panel has 3 positions 1, 2, and Both. According to the Carver documentation the battery selected will supply power for starting and house and will be charged by the alternators when running. They recommend alternating the batteries between 1 and 2 and that Both should only be used when one of the batteries cannot start the engines.

I recently replaced battery 2 (Group 31 deep cycle / starting) with 4 Trojan T105 6 volt arranged in a series / parallel arrangement.

After re-connecting everything and testing the voltages etc. I have the following situation.

Battery Switch in Position 1.
House OK.
Port Engine Start OK.
Starboard Engine no crank but the alarms and fuel pump run with key in the run position

Battery Switch in Position 2 or Both.
Everything is good both engines start and house is supplied.

Each battery has 2 negatives connected that go to various locations on the engines etc... very hard to track. My suspicion is that I may have upset this when i re connected things back up.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Carver 350 Mariner Battery 1... 2..... Both

Postby bud37 » June 15th, 2015, 5:22 pm

Howdy....I don't see any reason why you cannot have the two engines connected together ground wise....check with multi meter for continuity between port and stbd engines, maybe they are already connected....if not that may explain the difference between 1 and 2,both...I have a big cable joining both of ours together....maybe I am wrong but just an idea......Mike
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » June 15th, 2015, 8:18 pm

Sounds like a prior owner made some mods. Yes all grounds should be common. You may have to trace the starter cables back to the bat switch. Both engines are normally connected to the common switch terminal.
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » June 18th, 2015, 4:58 am

Aaron,

I assume you are referring to Positive cables from the starter to the switch. I guess I will have to pull the panel in the Salon and take a look. I hope the wires are tagged
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

After Taxes
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 'After Taxes'
2004 Carver Mariner 360
Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay,
Ontario, Canada

Postby After Taxes » June 23rd, 2015, 8:27 pm

If able, post some photos of the set up.

Use the full editor page, and add photos as attachments.
2004 Carver Mariner 360
MerCruiser MX 6.2
Lake Simcoe, Ontario

Return to “Electrical”