Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bilge Fans - independent or ganged

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

United States of America
CaptBob
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Shopping....

Re: Bilge Fans - independent or ganged

Postby CaptBob » March 30th, 2016, 9:33 am

I had a bit of discussion with my fans this winter also. Changed my inline fans to squirrel cage blowers. (quieter) Turned into a bigger project, but in some twisted fashion, I enjoy this stuff. Two fan switches, helm and interior generator control panel. Either switch will turn the fans on, (provided the helm breakers are on) but can only be turned off by switch that activated them. Helm DC panel has 4 toggle/breaker switches. They are the power for the relays for the fans. There are individual relays for each fan. The switches on the dash and gen station turn on all the relays, the 4 breakers supply the power through the relay for each fan. The switches get their power (to activate the relays) from breaker #1.

So... The main on the helm DC panel must on, then fan one must be on, then each of the other three can be controlled individually with the breakers. Why? I dunno. I just leave them all on all the time and hit the helm/gen switch to control them. As we run our genny pretty much all the time, I leave the blowers on from dock to dock.
Capt Bob!
More Nautiville 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
A little less Nauti 2008 SeaDoo 150 Speedster (Admiral could not live without a jet boat.... :captain2: )

Nautiville 2005 Cruisers 280 CXi *Sold*
Nautitown 2012 SeaDoo 180 SP *Sold*

Great Britain
Peter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 38ss 2007

Postby Peter » May 14th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Uummm i will have to play with my switches as various blowers dont seem to work but it may be im not switching stuff right reading the above !
The generator fan that switches from the lazorrette panel doesnt seem to work now any ideas ?

Tomion
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 530

Postby Tomion » August 21st, 2018, 10:04 pm

It is my understanding with engines running the blowers are always on to provide cool air to engines and keep the engine compartment cool. Is my understanding correct?

2001 Carver 444

United States of America
Keith S
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38 Super Sport

Postby Keith S » September 7th, 2019, 9:35 am

Basic blower stuff.
Diesel boats do not require blowers to remove fumes, the blowers are used to control engine compartment temperature.
Therefore they usually draw air from the upper 1/3 of the compartment and may be controlled by a thermostat in the engine compartment. If a fire extinguishing system is installed, a means to shut down the blowers when the fire system activates must be installed.
Gasoline powered boats require the blowers to remove combustible fumes from the bilge. The blower intake must be in the lower 1/3 of the compartment but above the normal level of accumulated bilge water.
ABYC H2 specifies one blower per engine located as close as possible to the engine is serves. Multiple blowers must operate simultaneously with each blower provided with it's own over-current protection. Blowers must have a visual indicator other than switch position such as a light. H2 is 13 pages of more than you ever wanted to know about bilge blowers.

United States of America
mjmason1
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver Voyager 530

Postby mjmason1 » January 4th, 2020, 5:28 pm

I had to replace all of my blowers this year. Actually some of them haven't worked since I bought the boat. In the process we removed the relays. They didn't work either. I have stickers on both helms to remind me to turn on the blowers. Unfortunately the breakers are in the master stateroom. Kind of a pain, but at least they work. It sounds like a jet engine when they are on!

United States of America
Sgodfrey
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 450 Voyager

Postby Sgodfrey » January 4th, 2020, 6:36 pm

I have a voyager 450. Blowers don’t work. Are the relays next to the blower motor ? I am assuming you just removed the relay and wired directly to breaker ?

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » January 6th, 2020, 11:55 am

This is an interesting subject. In my Carver 44, which is 396 with cockpit, I also have 4 breakers that control the bilge blowers. There is also a switch on the helm and the breaker panel, beside the genny switch, to turn them on as well. They come on automatically when the ignition is on.

However, one thing I did notice that was different than in all of my gas powered boats. The 2 blowers on the Starboard side blow air into the bilge and the 2 on the Port side blow air out, over the top of the engines. I was advised by mechanic, that this is to keep the air around the engine cool, clean in addition to removing fumes from combustion. So, if replacing blowers for any reason, be sure to install them the proper way.

Where as, with a gas engines the blowers draw air from down low in you bilge and exhaust them out of the boat for obvious reasons.

United States of America
gotjeepzj
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Mariner 3297

Where is the shower discharge thru hull 3297?

Postby gotjeepzj » April 6th, 2020, 11:44 pm

I want to replace this piston pump with a sump box, but also want to go ahead and install all new hoses. I can’t find where the shower discharge access is.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: Where is the shower discharge thru hull 3297?

Postby buster53 » April 7th, 2020, 9:22 pm

Obviously, it's going to be pretty close by, probably within a foot or two of the drain.
Carver is pretty good at hiding bilge access panels. Do you have carpeting on the floor just outside the head? If you do, try pulling it up, most likely, it is not glued down.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Where is the shower discharge thru hull 3297?

Postby mjk1040 » April 8th, 2020, 7:12 am

Our discharge was on the starboard side of the bow haul. Look under the mattress there should be access panels to the bow haul and you should see the thru haul and hoses. Ours had a shower sump, how ever I have heard of some that drained into the bilge and the bilge pump pumped the shower drain overboard.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “Electrical”