Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Year Of The Battery?

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author
After Taxes
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 'After Taxes'
2004 Carver Mariner 360
Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay,
Ontario, Canada

Year Of The Battery?

Postby After Taxes » June 5th, 2016, 8:09 pm

image.jpeg
Well, this summer is shaping up to be the, "year of the battery", for us. Just two weeks after replacing our engine cranking batteries, we discovered our house batteries acting up. This is only our second summer with the '04 Mariner, and we inherited old batteries, so we expecteid most of this fun. But the following was interesting and dangerous.

I have (had) two Interstate SRM-29 deep cycles in parallel, as our house units. They worked OK last summer, and yes, I'm aware that group 29 batteries are not optimal for house service. But they are ok for general purpose boating as long as one is not too long off of shore power.

Problems started Saturday morning (don't all boat problems begin on our boating weekends?) with a chemical smell in the boat. This turned out to be one battery excessively gassing off. Next clue was a sound like bacon gently sizzling on the stove top, which is one of life's best sounds, except when it's coming from a battery, it's not so good. I located the bacon imitating deep cycle battery, and found it was very hot. So hot, I could not hold a hand on the battery. This was only one of the two identical SRM-29 deep cycle batteries. The other seemed to be acting perfectly normal. So out came the bacon hot battery, and quite quickly I might add.

I placed a volt meter on it and found it quite low, around 10 volts, which is odd for a battery that was on the charger all week. So it's a piece of junk, a bad cell or inside short.

But the funny thing here is that I took distilled water to the boat this weekend, to ensure all batteries were properly flooded. It really pays to open your engine hatches and smell, poke, prod and observe things. I'm real happy I caught that overheating battery. Next project is to remove the so-called good one, because it's an identical twin, and we all know what that means: it's going to crash anytime soon.

Oh, one tip for you. See the wing nuts in the photo. If you have them, throw them away and replace with regular nuts that can be wrenched tight. I've found those wing nuts loosen easily and are usually tightened with pliers. They just cannot match the connection, IMO, of a properly tightened nut. Even my own marina techs, who 'summerized' my engine room, and reconnected my batteries, failed to fully tighten those darn wing nuts. I found two loose. But a properly wrenched nut will not come loose.

What am I doing about house battery replacements? I have two nice sets of Trojan T-105's golf cart six-volts in my tool room, that came out of my last boat. They've been kept warm, dry and charged, and there is much life left in them. We will give them a try.

I'm almost afraid to ask you experts out there, but what could have happened, had that nasty battery continued being so hot, and in my mind, dangerous? Were we headed for an electrifying experience?

Cheers all,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by After Taxes on June 6th, 2016, 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
2004 Carver Mariner 360
MerCruiser MX 6.2
Lake Simcoe, Ontario

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Year Of The Battery?

Postby Viper » June 5th, 2016, 8:55 pm

Wing nuts are a no no. I recommend a spurred nut, has a built-in spurred lock washer. A regular nut can loosen up with vibration and changing terminal temps. You can use a separate lock washer and nut, I just find it's one more thing to lose. I don't like using nylock nuts on batteries either.

I see the previous battery installers did not code the install date on the battery. How are they to know when it was installed for reference and warranty purposes? Some manufacturers will have a date code label on the battery so they know the production date or year.

Do you have a smart charger on board or an older one?

Topic author
After Taxes
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 'After Taxes'
2004 Carver Mariner 360
Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay,
Ontario, Canada

Re: Year Of The Battery?

Postby After Taxes » June 5th, 2016, 9:14 pm

My boat has the 50 amp Charles C-Charger, 5000 Series, which appears to be factory original product. This unit is still marketed today.

I realize there are newer smart units on the market. Such as Xantrex.

How much better are the new units and what will they do that this one will not?

thank you.

http://www.charlesindustries.com/main/ma_batchcch_ad2.html
2004 Carver Mariner 360
MerCruiser MX 6.2
Lake Simcoe, Ontario

Return to “Electrical”