Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

350 mariner battery switches

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: 350 mariner battery switches

Postby Viper » August 21st, 2016, 8:29 pm

:down:
I've seen some installations where this has been omitted. I suspect the installer's thinking was that the ground wire already there from the AC hookup will do the same thing which is a big no no.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » August 22nd, 2016, 6:15 am

Batteries are off when we leave the boat, AC receptacles are on along with the battery charger, I believe the fridge is on one of the receptacle circuits? The air conditioning units we have, have a humidity cycle that we leave on that monitors the boats moisture and runs accordingly. All the DC breakers are on except the fresh water pump, but with batteries of this panel should be dead. Anything that needs DC power when the battery switch is off has its own separate breaker. And of course we turn the shore water supply off too. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 22nd, 2016, 9:35 am

Well after four days with this boat I think I have an idea what is going on.We used to leave the last boat ( both DC main switches off, one 110 side on to power the fridge), now this configuration seems a little different but I think the same would be done by turning the battery switch to off and leaving the 110 receptacle with the fridge on it , on.

Spent the day cleaning battery terminals and filling with distilled ( gen battery was dry, odd because gen has only 40 hrs).....also it appears that the charger is connected to the battery terminals and is charging the gen.....I only have three batteries ( soon to be rectified ), I have always kept the gen totally separate. :beergood: :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » August 22nd, 2016, 2:22 pm

If you cut the DC and the AC power goes off your fridge will not run during the power interruption.

The gen battery is being charged by the charger on ours also. With the new charger I installed this year and the previous one.

Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
Makin Waves
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 46MY

Postby Makin Waves » August 22nd, 2016, 6:49 pm

Hi Fraser, that broken stud was not me. I don't play with that stuff and we really didn't have any reason to. This must have been prior to me
Dave

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » August 22nd, 2016, 8:30 pm

Makin Waves wrote:Source of the post Hi Fraser, that broken stud was not me. I don't play with that stuff and we really didn't have any reason to. This must have been prior to me
Dave

I am sure of that too Dave, no worries. I am just happy I was finally able to figure this one out.

Cheers
Fraser

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » August 24th, 2016, 5:24 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Cool , good to see how you put them in there, I like that :-D ..How many amp hours are the 4 in total??....we got the boat home yesterday ,everything good....figured out the fridge and battery switches, all seems ok.

I guess that broken stud would explain the charging issues......wonder why PO would not have just changed the breaker??? :beergood:

Bud37
Just remembered.
If you do decide to go with these batteries make sure you get the ones with higher posts.... unlike me. It has been a tight squeeze to connect things to them at times.......

F

Larbaby2th
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 396, less than 100 hours on twin Cummins-previous owner used it as a virtual condo at the dock. Maintained flawlessly. Just bought yesterday and surveys next week. Selling sea Ray 260, Sundancer, which I loved but becomes way too small fast.

Postby Larbaby2th » September 4th, 2016, 5:37 pm

I do not have enough juice in
"house" battery to keep frig going

Return to “Electrical”