Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Power line 1 showing zero on the voltmeter

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Power line 1 showing zero on the voltmeter

Postby Viper » September 29th, 2019, 10:22 am

:down:
Unfortunately most folks are under the impression that they don't have to worry about the electrical system because they think breakers will trip and protect them and the boat when they try to push a circuit's limits or something go wrong. That's not always the case as tripping is dependent on a few factors. Your shore power inlets, cords, dockside pedestal, on-board wiring, etc. can burn up and cause a fire withouttripping a breaker.

Unless there is a loose connection or poor wiring practices used, typically mechanically fastened/permanent on-board wiring connections are safe if done right. They usually stand up to vibration and movement which can loosen things up. Shore power cords and their connection points are typically less than a secure/complete contact resulting in a steadily worsening condition which can eventually lead to heated cords and plugs. Once that occurs, the result/condition gets exponentially worse over time and is exacerbated by the lack of power management. While there are some better shore power plugs out there such as the Smart Plug ( https://smartplug.com/, the key is to ensure you're not overloading a circuit and to inspect electrical hardware that isn't permanently fastened such as your shore power hardware.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 29th, 2019, 10:41 am

I will add that Smart Plug is the best thing since sliced bread. So much better in every way. I converted my last boat and also my present Carver. Image
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » September 29th, 2019, 10:59 am

I would just caution that unless the dock pedestal also has a Smart Plug outlet, it'll be the weak link that should be inspected often. But at least the fire will be at that end ;-)

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 29th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post I would just caution that unless the dock pedestal also has a Smart Plug outlet, it'll be the weak link that should be inspected often. But at least the fire will be at that end ;-)

The dock pedestal gets no wave action/movement like boats do so less prone to failure IMHO. As you know smart plugs do not exist and never will at the pedestal due to incompatability with the rest of the world. ;-) That being said I do make sure my dock pedestal connection is tight and has no black marks/wear on it. My connection is basically permanent for the season as my dock lines gets left at my dock all season long. Not to worried about theft since they would have to go to the trouble of unscrewing the several fasteners holding it in place. :-D I do have a spare on board which I call my travel cord. ;-) Same goes for fenders, have 4 large fenders with covers permanant on the dock and my 6 "travel" fenders on board. No messing with cords or fenders coming or going, more time to enjoy the boat. :-D

That being said we are getting brand new pedestals next year throughout the marina. :-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » September 29th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post
Viper wrote:Source of the post I would just caution that unless the dock pedestal also has a Smart Plug outlet, it'll be the weak link that should be inspected often. But at least the fire will be at that end ;-)

The dock pedestal gets no wave action/movement like boats do so less prone to failure IMHO.....

Most plug fires that I've dealt with have actually been at the pedestal end. They usually don't have the ability to secure the plug with a tightening collar that will prevent it from moving, the prongs support the weight of the cord from the ground up, and most folks simply disconnect at the pedestal and take the plug with them on board. As a result, the pedestal outlet usually sees the most use and abuse, worn contact surfaces, and widening clearances, all the makings for a very poor connection at that location.

I agree we'll likely not see Smart Plugs at the dock which is surprising as it's in a marina's best interest for more reasons than one. I've often wondered why the makers of Smart Plug don't approach marinas with an incentive or campaign to replace their outlets, or talk to the boat manufacturers about switching over for that matter. I did talk to a company rep about that but haven't heard of any major announcements about that.

Topic author United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » April 10th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post
Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post

The dock pedestal gets no wave action/movement like boats do so less prone to failure IMHO.....

Most plug fires that I've dealt with have actually been at the pedestal end. They usually don't have the ability to secure the plug with a tightening collar that will prevent it from moving, the prongs support the weight of the cord from the ground up, and most folks simply disconnect at the pedestal and take the plug with them on board. As a result, the pedestal outlet usually sees the most use and abuse, worn contact surfaces, and widening clearances, all the makings for a very poor connection at that location.

I agree we'll likely not see Smart Plugs at the dock which is surprising as it's in a marina's best interest for more reasons than one. I've often wondered why the makers of Smart Plug don't approach marinas with an incentive or campaign to replace their outlets, or talk to the boat manufacturers about switching over for that matter. I did talk to a company rep about that but haven't heard of any major announcements about that.

Viper,

I spoke with the SmartPlug folks at the Miami Boat Show. They have installed pedestal side outlets at 8 or so marinas, and will continue to try to add them. They also have a line of converters (old to smartplug - smartplug to old) for those who want to change. I think it will be a long slow process to get marinas to convert unless it is mandated. I plan to convert mine next time I need cables.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 10th, 2020, 4:17 pm

That's good to know. The adapters have been around for a while but like I said before, you still have the old type in the loop and is still the weak link. One is better than none though, and as long as the weak link is at the slip and not your boat, you'll feel better when it finally let's go.

Return to “Electrical”