Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Battery Charger and Batteries

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Low Flyer
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355 MY
Mercruiser Bluewater 454's

Battery Charger and Batteries

Postby Low Flyer » April 16th, 2017, 1:01 am

RE: CO2 Detectors Sounding Alarm..

After advice from Viper, I am starting a new thread from the 405 driver post to disseminate my progress. Sorry for the hijack 405 driver.

From the previous thread, I posted about having charger and battery "boil" problems after replacing my original CHARLES battery charger and my EXILE dual purpose deep cycle batteries that were also setting off my CO2 detectors.

The NOCO Genius 4 battery charger I installed was under warranty so they allowed me to send it in for diagnostic testing and repair or replacement. The problem is that they did not tell me if the charger had a fault or was okay. They sent me a brand new charger back as replacement.

I was not happy with that resolution so I also bought a ProNautic charger like 405 Driver. Because I did not want to put myself back into the same situation of Genius 4 and new batteries, I purchased the ProNautic 1230P charger and new (different brand) of 27 DC Marine batteries. For those of you thinking about a new charger, the ProNautic is almost "plug and play" in that the original wiring will wire directly into the new charger from the Carver wiring.

I waited a few weeks to respond to my last post to verify that I no longer have the old issue of the charger "boiling" the water out of the batteries and setting off the CO2 detectors with the new setup. So far, everything appears to be working correctly. I made sure that the electrical system was configured exactly like it was previously with the old (new) Genius charger and have had no problems. I was on the hook and using battery power all last night and had no problem with power this morning and after plugging back into shore power the charging system appeared normal.

The ProNautic charger has the ability to remotely monitor the batteries and status with a separate monitor that I purchased so that I would not have to open the engine hatches to see the status on the charger. I now know when the batteries are charging, at what rate they are charging, the battery temp (key to the boiling battery issue), the charger temp and when the batteries are anticipated to be fully charged. I only receive this information when the charger is operational on shore or generator power. All of that and the peace of mind that my DC electrical system is working properly again was worth the cost.

With that being said, if you know of anyone that needs a NOCO Genius 4, 4 Bank, 40 Amp brand new in the box never opened battery charger, let me know and they can have it at half price.

Thanks for the feed back and I hope this helps anyone else that has this type of problem.
"Water Wings II"
1998 355 Aft Cabin

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Battery Charger and Batteries

Postby bud37 » April 16th, 2017, 7:52 am

Looks like you covered the bases, thanks for posting the resolution as it will be very helpful for others in the future....I think I might be changing to the pronautic in the near future when I can save up......... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Battery Charger and Batteries

Postby Viper » April 16th, 2017, 9:22 am

Glad it worked out.
Low Flyer wrote:Source of the post....the original wiring will wire directly into the new charger from the Carver wiring....

As long as you don't change to a higher output charger. Having said that, when I replaced mine, I measured existing charge wire runs and found the OEM wire size to be inadequate for the charger they installed. I've run across this before in other installations. I went with a higher output unit in mine so I had to replace the wiring but even if I stuck with the same output, I would have had to replace the wiring anyway. The moral of the story here is to not assume the existing wiring is suitable for what you're installing. Measure the runs and go to a chart to determine the correct wire size.

I'm with you.....love the remote display. For what it costs to purchase and run, it's well worth it IMO.

Return to “Electrical”