Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Electrical Voyager 530

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author
Captain Dan
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 54' Carver Voyager, 2000.

Electrical Voyager 530

Postby Captain Dan » April 22nd, 2017, 6:20 pm

Hi.
My Voyager recently caught fire at the shore plug inlet. Fortunately the fire was put out quickly and repairable. There was a wiring harness in the upper area Port side running along past the fuel tank into that corner. It was burned pretty badly and I don't know what it did. A lot of wires were loomed low around the exhaust and it is okay, the fire went up. I think those operate the autopilot, rudder position sensor etc. The upper harness had a small relay in it also that was completely melted. If you know what that harness does please let me know. The mass appears to contain around six or seven wires.
Thanks. Captain Dan

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Electrical Voyager 530

Postby Viper » April 22nd, 2017, 6:39 pm

Welcome aboard Captain Dan. It's unfortunate that we have to welcome you under these circumstances but glad you dropped in. Hopefully someone with the same model can help you out. Having said that, there's no telling what was added after market. I'd consider calling Carver on this one. They may be able to provide you with some info on what ran in each bundle from factory based on your hull number.

Is there any wiring in good enough condition that could be followed to a piece of hardware, switch, or breaker? A detailed visual inspection may reveal something beneficial. There has to be a place along the bundle where the wiring didn't burn. That would be a good starting point. Accessibility will make or break how easy this project will be.

Until things get figured out, I don't think I'd be turning anything on for fear that you start another electrical fire as I'm sure you now have shorted circuits.

Topic author
Captain Dan
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 54' Carver Voyager, 2000.

Postby Captain Dan » April 23rd, 2017, 2:59 pm

Hi.
Thanks for getting back to me and the good advice. I am working with Carver on it and they have been very helpful. The fire stopped at the bulkhead and the wires are good forward of that area. The problem is that whole back corner was consumed and the wires were just a mass of melted components and bare copper. I found the remnants of one relay but not much identifiable. Some had to be ground wires and a few were to lights but the rest are a bit of a mystery. I sure don't want to start turning things on to find out what doesn't work.
Fair seas and tail winds.
Dan

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 23rd, 2017, 5:49 pm

Short of knowing exactly what wires are for what, the only other thing I can think of is doing continuity checks at both ends of wires leading to what you suspect is an affected piece of hardware. It sounds like this is at the stern of the boat. I'd start by taking inventory of all electrical equipment back there and take measurements on one system at a time. You could try turning a system on and off quickly to see if it works, ie; bilge pump, however you can't assume the circuit wiring hasn't been compromised just because the pump is working. A continuity check would tell you more.

It's a tough one. Without a schematic of the circuits and how/where they run throughout the vessel so you can isolate the circuits in that bundle, the only option is to chase the affected wiring and see where they go. Not always the easiest thing to do but you may not have a choice in this case.

Perhaps someone can offer up a different approach.

United States of America
dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders
Name: La Belle ll

Postby dsolo » August 1st, 2017, 5:21 pm

I have a wiring diagram of the factory installed electrical/electronics. It includes the color code. Carver should have this diagram if you don't. I would start with trying to identify the relay you mentioned. Try finding all relays and their connecting points. Once you have it identified start looking for color codes and equipment in the same area. Trace out each wire. Remember what Viper said, there could be after market installs. Most of them are undocumented. Good luck.
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
Portage Point Inn & Marina, Onekema, Mi
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » December 4th, 2017, 6:55 am

Captain Dan, how did you make out with this?

Return to “Electrical”