Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

all batteries dead

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
RHJ
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 3207 Aft Cabin

all batteries dead

Postby RHJ » June 4th, 2017, 6:17 pm

Hello All . My daughter is the proud owner of a 1983 aft 3207..twins..I am helping her get things up to speed. The fresh water pump has failed and I am thinking of replacing it with a Shur Flo 4008 -101 - E65. The failed one is a Shur Flo 2.8 gal 4 amp. Should I expect any problems..? We also have a Battery charging issue. There are 4 24ms class batteries . 2 are labelled as start. One will charge off the on board charger but drains quickly to .3 volts dc. Obviously defective. When running the engines and measuring battery voltage with a Fluke voltmeter, a max of 13 V.D.C is measured. Shouldn't 14v dc be available for alternator output or is a high charge current which I can't measure dragging the voltage down?. I am hoping that once the defective battery is replaced the alternator voltage will increase to 14...ANY input is appreciated,

Thanks,
RHJ

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: all batteries dead

Postby waybomb » June 4th, 2017, 8:10 pm

13vdc is too low, but your bad battery could be pulling the output down.
I;d pull all the batteries and have them load tested. Or try to borrow one so you can test yourself in the boat.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 4th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Welcome aboard. You may get more help if you started another thread.

Be careful when replacing the pump with one that draws a higher load. You need to make sure the existing wiring can handle the extra current for safety reasons. Double check but I think the new one you're considering is almost twice the amperage draw.

RHJ
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby RHJ » June 5th, 2017, 11:59 am

Thanks waybomb and viper...

The current draw on the replacement pump is 5 vs 7.5 amps .. # 14 wire to existing pump.
Please help review the battery setup. There are presently 4 -12 volt 24 class batteries.... 2 are marked start ( 1 and 2).. Other 2 are unmarked. All 4 charge off the built in charger when at shore. When the engines are started , are only the START batteries used? Does the battery switch on the panel ..1 ..2 or ALL only switch the START batteries. Are the unmarked batteries only for accessories?

Thanks,

RHJ

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 5th, 2017, 2:45 pm

RHJ wrote:Source of the post Thanks waybomb and viper...

The current draw on the replacement pump is 5 vs 7.5 amps .. # 14 wire to existing pump.
Please help review the battery setup. There are presently 4 -12 volt 24 class batteries.... 2 are marked start ( 1 and 2).. Other 2 are unmarked. All 4 charge off the built in charger when at shore. When the engines are started , are only the START batteries used? Does the battery switch on the panel ..1 ..2 or ALL only switch the START batteries. Are the unmarked batteries only for accessories?
Thanks,
RHJ

There can be a hundred ways to wire up the batteries. I'm guessing your two unmarked ones are connected in parallel and are considered the "house" batteries. I would guess that the battery switch is only for the two start batteries - HOWEVER, they could also be wired in parallel and then the 1-2-both switch would switch from the "starting" batteries to the "house" batteries.

Sometimes you need to do some digging to find out exactly how it's wired. You can take off each one of the positive battery cables at a time and see what stops working, with the 1-2-both switch in various positions. Make notes when you do this because it can be confusing. If you do disconnect stuff for these tests, MAKE SURE that it is still insulated and protected from inadvertantly touching any other metal and creating a short circuit.

RHJ
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby RHJ » June 10th, 2017, 10:02 am

Thanks First Mate:
Looks like that is the only way to do it...hard to follow the wiring leaning in ....
RHJ

Return to “Electrical”