Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Alternator amp question

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Australia
Golfgippsland
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1989 Santego 2767 mid cabin express

Alternator amp question

Postby Golfgippsland » September 24th, 2017, 2:55 am

Hi I have a dead alternator on my mercruiser 470 question is do I replace it with the same 12v 85 amp alternator or should I take this opportunity to find one with higher amps. Is there any benefits to increasing amp output. Also I am considering replacing my batteries how many cca is suggested for the mercruiser 470. Thanks :help:
Gippsland lakes Australia
1989 Carver 2767 Santego
1971 v156 glastron modified
1985 whittley cruisemaster
1982 2950 Bayliner offshore express

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Alternator amp question

Postby Viper » September 24th, 2017, 6:06 am

You can get away with something smaller but I don't go with anything less than 1000MCA/800CCA for main gasoline power plants anymore.

If you go with something larger than the alternator you have now, chances are you'll have to replace the charge wiring, breaker/fuse, etc. You may even need to change the pulley on the engine. Check the charging curve on the unit you're considering buying. What rpm do you have to be doing before you see full output. If it's not in keeping with your usual boating habits, it may not be worth the extra money.

Weather you need/should go with a larger one depends on your boating habits. They'll certainly charge up a battery faster than a unit with less output but that's only necessary if you drain the batteries a lot and only cruise for short jaunts or run your engines to charge the batteries while on the hook for extended stays. Having said that, you shouldn't be draining your batteries too far down. You certainly won't need them for start batteries.

If you decide to keep what you have, will you replace with new or do you have a place where you can take the failed unit in for repair?

Topic author Australia
Golfgippsland
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Golfgippsland » September 24th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Thanks viper, I will get two new 850cca marine batteries next weekend. These are for the engines I also have a deep cycle for running the accessories. I can replace the alternator with a new one cheaper than repairing the old one.( A sad fact in today’s disposable world) Alternator is a standard Bosch single post. I don’t like the idea of changing wiring fuses etc, so you have answered my question, will stick with the same alternator. Yet to look into a solar system to keep them all topped up. But it is high on my to do list. Cheers
1989 Carver 2767 Santego

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 25th, 2017, 3:34 pm

Since it hasn't been mentioned, but just to be sure: Make sure you use a marine alternator. You can find a virtually identical automotive version, but it will not have the ignition protection of a true marine unit.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 25th, 2017, 9:29 pm

++++1

Topic author Australia
Golfgippsland
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Golfgippsland » September 27th, 2017, 5:17 am

Thanks will definitely get the marine version.
1989 Carver 2767 Santego

Return to “Electrical”