Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Adding Batteries

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Adding Batteries

Postby bud37 » November 7th, 2017, 8:03 am

Here is a good read, lots of info, much may not apply to you at this time but you never know......some applies to his boat but still well written......have a look,on the right side are all the topics, warning you may need a refreshment to go with this...... :beergood:

https://gilwellbear.wordpress.com/categ ... cs/page/2/
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 3607 MakinTIme
Glastron MX175 MakinTimeToo

Postby MakinTime » November 8th, 2017, 6:29 pm

This last year we installed a Xantrex 3000 sine wave inverter charger in our carver 36.We run 4 6 volt battery’s 460ah. The setup works great and it is wired through the panel. The 4 batteries seem sufficient for overnight anchorages and such. We can easily get 2 nights without running generator to charge,powering things like fans, refrigerator. I am very impressed with this setup.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 8th, 2017, 8:28 pm

MakinTime wrote:Source of the post This last year we installed a Xantrex 3000 sine wave inverter charger in our carver 36.We run 4 6 volt battery’s 460ah. The setup works great and it is wired through the panel. The 4 batteries seem sufficient for overnight anchorages and such. We can easily get 2 nights without running generator to charge,powering things like fans, refrigerator. I am very impressed with this setup.

Do you have any pictures of your install? Where did you end up mounting it?

United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate

Postby MakinTime » November 9th, 2017, 9:14 am

I will take some pics this weekend when I get down to my boat. I mounted it where the ice maker was mounted under the galley seat. The run of cabling was a bit longer then I wanted but it was kind of my only option for mounting the unit because of its size. I will post pics saturday after I get down there.

United States of America
paboater76
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 84 3207 Aft Cabin

Postby paboater76 » November 10th, 2017, 10:52 am

Following along, same boat, would like to do the same thing. Please post some updates and pics as you go please. I didn't think of the closet in the aft cabling, storage is so limited on these boats as it is, I didn't want to sacrifice that space. So my plan would be to go with an ignition protected inverter, so it could be mounted in the bilge, connected to a 4x 6v bank @ 450ah connected to the panel.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 10th, 2017, 12:06 pm

I never heard of an ignition protected inverter. Maybe they exist but I am sure you will pay through the nose for it.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 10th, 2017, 1:55 pm

Promariner TruePower Combi series is the only one that comes to mind that is ignition protected.
http://www.promariner.com/en/02012

Whether the extra cost of an ignition protected unit makes good financial sense or not depends on the installation. If you have to locate a non-ignition protected unit far from the battery bank, you can easily make up the difference in cost in good quality marine cable for the length and size you'd typically need for a high amperage unit. I always tell people that sometimes the inverter is the cheapest part of the install.

United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate

Postby MakinTime » November 14th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Here are some pics of my batteries, and inverter set-up. We ended up mounting it under the dinette where the ice maker used to be, and ran the digital display in a cubby hole near the stairs.

For DC cabeling I used 4/0 gauge and 400 amp class T style fuse. On the AC side I used 8 gauge because of the length from panel to inverter. Cost for wiring including all the cable ends class T fuse and holder and all the nic nacs was right around $600 it added up quickly. I found my Xantrex 3000 pure wine on graigslist brand new in a opened box for $500, which was a steal because they list for close to$2000. I was pumped to find this and jumped on it right away! The 4 6 volt batteries were $400. Sorry my pics aren’t the best as the boat is shrieked and hard to see.

Adding the inverter was one of the best things we have done to the boat. It really cut our usage of the generator down. Last year without the inverter we ran the generator for close to 100 hrs all season. This last season with the inverter set up we ran the gen around 10 hrs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 14th, 2017, 9:34 pm

Makin time.......do your 6volts only feed the inverter or do they have other duties as well ? Just fits in there eh, how much does it weigh??
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate

Postby MakinTime » November 14th, 2017, 9:46 pm

The 6 volts feed inverter and everything on the 12 volt house side. I have 2 separate battery’s for engines and gen. They are heavy I believe 68lbs each. Yes they were a tight fit!

Return to “Electrical”