Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Deep Cycle House Batteries

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author
agskinner1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 4207 with twin Cat 3208's

Deep Cycle House Batteries

Postby agskinner1 » November 19th, 2013, 12:18 am

Hi Folks,
Has anyone looked into using industrial 2 volt batteries for house batteries? I currently have 4 - 6 volt L16 batteries for my house batteries that are 8-9 years old now. I've been talking to a friend of mine who owns a battery store, and he's recommending these fork lift batteries for my house batteries. I need lots of amp hours because I'm running a 110 volt fridge in my Carver 4207 Carver.
Ideas any one?
Thanks
Al :-P

United States of America
Seif911
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 33'

Re: Deep Cycle House Batteries

Postby Seif911 » November 19th, 2013, 6:40 am

Hmmm...too much weight for my boat. So you will need 6 batteries? Have you ever considered UPS batteries? They are batteries tires used in computer data centers. I have seen them for sale on Craigslist many times. I would definitely compare the capacity between the UPS and the golf cart batteries. I have 2 of them in my Cruiseliner (I actually need more battery power there than the Carver).
Thanks,
Steve

22' Godfrey Hurricane Fun Deck, Fiberglass hull, 175 HP, Deck boat
24' Chrysler Cruiseliner III (Lonestar), 120 HP, Aluminum Hull, Cabin, 1968
33' Carver Mariner, fiberglass hull, 520 HP, Yacht, 1977

Return to “Electrical”