Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine Harness Schematic

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
dcrahn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 2687 Monterey

Engine Harness Schematic

Postby dcrahn » December 21st, 2017, 12:38 pm

Does anybody have one. I have the owners manual for my '84 Monterey, but it only has the instrument panel and the 12v DC and 110v AC. Nothing on the engine itself. I sure it's probably pretty generic for different engine sizes and makes.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Engine Harness Schematic

Postby km1125 » December 21st, 2017, 7:12 pm

The harness would be specific to the engine, but for that vintage they are going to be pretty similar. What engine(s) do you have?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 21st, 2017, 8:15 pm

There are minor differences between OEM designs besides the main connectors for that vintage but they typically follow the same wiring colour codes for different circuits and senders. It should be a pretty easy Google search for colour codes and what their standard use is. You shouldn't have a problem finding Mercury schematics if that's what you have.

Why are you looking for a schematic, do you have a wiring problem you're trying to diagnose?

dcrahn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby dcrahn » December 22nd, 2017, 6:24 pm

The engine is a 1986 Volvo Penta 5.7 (GM350). No problems, but I do have a couple of wires that are no connected to anything and I would like to run the engine before I install it in the boat. I'm trying to avoid cutting the wire loom wrapping to trace them out to where they go.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 22nd, 2017, 6:34 pm

dcrahn wrote:Source of the post The engine is a 1986 Volvo Penta 5.7 (GM350). No problems, but I do have a couple of wires that are no connected to anything and I would like to run the engine before I install it in the boat. I'm trying to avoid cutting the wire loom wrapping to trace them out to where they go.

Could you just go thru the harness with a multimeter to check continuity, that should id wires for you, if I follow what you are asking correctly........Happy Christmas..... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

dcrahn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby dcrahn » December 22nd, 2017, 6:46 pm

I could, but much easier too trace a schematic.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » December 22nd, 2017, 6:52 pm

It is quite possible the wires are spares that are not used in your application.
I would verify you have oil pressure, temp gauge and neutral safety switch connected. Make sure the unused wires are insulated and fire it up.
Also, something that many people seem to disconnect rather than fix the problem is the shift detent switch. If not set up correctly it will make your engine stall when shifting in and out of gear.

dcrahn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby dcrahn » December 24th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Okay, I got all the wire traced out but one. It's independent of the main plug at the rear of the engine and has a Weatherpack connector. it is in-cooperated in the main harness and runs to the front by the water pump and has a ring terminal with rubber boot. Does anybody have an idea of what it might have been used for?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 24th, 2017, 12:48 pm

I suspect the connector isn't original for that vintage. What colour is the wire? If it's original, it may lead you to the appropriate circuit.

dcrahn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby dcrahn » December 24th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post I suspect the connector isn't original for that vintage. What colour is the wire? If it's original, it may lead you to the appropriate circuit.

I don't think it's original either. There are no Weatherpack connectors anywhere else on the boat plus I don't remember seeing them used on boats of the 80's era. The wire color is Green.

Return to “Electrical”