Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver Mariner Automatic Shore Power / Generator Transfer Switch

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Carver Mariner Automatic Shore Power / Generator Transfer Switch

Postby amanphoto » February 17th, 2018, 11:03 am

My 1999 Carver Mariner has an Automatic transfer switch for the 110V system. How does this work? I would like to put in an Pure Sign Power Inverter so I can make a quick cup of coffee or microwave something with out firing up the noisy generator. How would it go about attaching this to the system?

United States of America
CaptBob
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Shopping....

Re: Carver Mariner Automatic Shore Power / Generator Transfer Switch

Postby CaptBob » February 17th, 2018, 11:57 am

While I realize that is it not a direct answer to your question, what about instead of trying to figure out how to incorporate it into the entire system, just put in one dedicated (or dedicate one) plug that runs off the inverter for that morning coffee?

You could then size the inverter to run the coffee pot only. I only think of this, 'cause I've pondered the same problem also.
Capt Bob!
More Nautiville 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
A little less Nauti 2008 SeaDoo 150 Speedster (Admiral could not live without a jet boat.... :captain2: )

Nautiville 2005 Cruisers 280 CXi *Sold*
Nautitown 2012 SeaDoo 180 SP *Sold*

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 17th, 2018, 12:02 pm

There are solenoids on each power leg behind the electrical panel. When they are energized with the presence of generator power, they disconnect the shore power leg. If there is any lag at all and voltage is back fed through the inverter, you will likely damage it but I suspect the solenoids are in either an open or closed state with no leakage at any time.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 17th, 2018, 12:21 pm

With the auto change over you have two relays with 110v coils, one for each main breaker. These are normally closed to fail to shore power. When the genny starts it energizes the relay coils and switches to gen power. If you are going to use and inverter that automatically switches to dc on ac loss simply put it between the breaker for the circuit you want to energize and the wire to the circuit receptacles.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » March 14th, 2018, 10:53 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post With the auto change over you have two relays with 110v coils, one for each main breaker. These are normally closed to fail to shore power. When the genny starts it energizes the relay coils and switches to gen power. If you are going to use and inverter that automatically switches to dc on ac loss simply put it between the breaker for the circuit you want to energize and the wire to the circuit receptacles.

This raises the same question I am struggling with. It sounds like the connection to the panel from the inverter (if you are powering multiple breakers) has to be after the relay but before the panel.

I have two panels with two 30amp shore power plugs feeding it. Generator comes on, relays work, and we Have generator power instead of shore power on both. .

If the relays connect directly to the panel and the wiring to the Inverter has to be between the relay and the panel then how do you go about doing that? Specific steps might clear it up.

Then, the AC power out from the Inverter has to go back to the sub panel to deliver the power?

Appreciate the reply and believe the OP is asking the same thing.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 14th, 2018, 11:55 pm

The one 30a shore power should feed your a/c unit(s) only I believe. You wont be running them with an inverter. So figure out which main feeds them and leave it alone.
If you want to do multiple breakers, you are correct, you will need to break the 30 amp circuit after the relay and before your main breaker. I personally would rethink this. If you try to feed the main and your inverter cannot handle the load and or inrush current you will continually trip the breaker on the inverter most any time you get a blip on shore power.
consider moving your required loads to one breaker and insert the inverter between the breaker and the loads.

Make sense?

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » March 15th, 2018, 10:19 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post The one 30a shore power should feed your a/c unit(s) only I believe. You wont be running them with an inverter. So figure out which main feeds them and leave it alone.
If you want to do multiple breakers, you are correct, you will need to break the 30 amp circuit after the relay and before your main breaker. I personally would rethink this. If you try to feed the main and your inverter cannot handle the load and or inrush current you will continually trip the breaker on the inverter most any time you get a blip on shore power.
consider moving your required loads to one breaker and insert the inverter between the breaker and the loads.

Make sense?

Thanks, Tom. I think so. What it sounds like you are recommending is a third panel for just those circuits that are to be powered by the Inverter. However, if I were to power the microwave and the three outlet breakers, then I would need four separate feeds from the Inverter (after the breakers). Or one if there is a breaker to that panel. I also have one more for the ice maker.

The idea was to have the AC side power the Inverter Charger for the house battery bank, and then have the output AC from the Inverter power the side with the outlets and the microwave. It also has the water heater and the range on it. So I would have to work through that also. This conversation is beginning to indicate to me that I may need a sub panel to do this.

OP, If I am hijacking this post let me know and I will move it back to the original thread I posted in regards to installing an Inverter.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 16th, 2018, 4:53 pm

You don't need to add a subpanel. If you open up your 120 v panel you will most likely see the hot wire from your 30A main either has a buss bar feeding the line side of all the breakers or wires daisy chained to all the line side of the breakers.
If you move the circuits you want to feed from your inverter to the end of the line, and break the main feed between the last breaker not supplied by the inverter and the first one supplied by the inverter that would do it. Again you want to make sure the inverter and handle the loads of all connected circuits. If you are planning to power a microwave and an icemaker, you will need a big inverter!!!

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » March 16th, 2018, 10:24 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post You don't need to add a subpanel. If you open up your 120 v panel you will most likely see the hot wire from your 30A main either has a buss bar feeding the line side of all the breakers or wires daisy chained to all the line side of the breakers.
If you move the circuits you want to feed from your inverter to the end of the line, and break the main feed between the last breaker not supplied by the inverter and the first one supplied by the inverter that would do it. Again you want to make sure the inverter and handle the loads of all connected circuits. If you are planning to power a microwave and an icemaker, you will need a big inverter!!!

Thanks Tom. Probably a 2000 watt inverter. I have another thread started on it. Feel alittle like I am moving us off the OP’s original question. :beergood:

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 17th, 2018, 12:44 am

Just an FYI, a 2000 watt inverter will struggle to run anything more than your microwave or a full size coffee maker. I would not try to run your icemaker with it, The inrush of the compressor starting will drop the voltage to the point that it will shorten the compressor life.

Return to “Electrical”