Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Optimal breaker panel settings?

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
RickieT
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 350 Mariner 1997

Optimal breaker panel settings?

Postby RickieT » February 23rd, 2018, 1:55 pm

I had a questions about what to leave on and off in the breaker panel when not using the boat to keep on-shore power costs down? I have a 350 Mariner. Boat does have an oven, microwave, coffee maker, icemaker, ac/heat, water heater, tv dvd etc...

Many Thanks!!!

Rick

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Optimal breaker panel settings?

Postby tomschauer » February 23rd, 2018, 2:24 pm

Leave battery charger on. If you keep items in your fridge, leave it on, but beware, if the 12v breaker for the fridge is on and you lose shore power you will drain your batteries pretty quickly.
I would definitely turn off the water heater.
I would also turn off the ice maker as your water should be off when not on the boat.
Anything else is purley your personal preference.

Topic author United States of America
RickieT
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 350 Mariner 1997

Postby RickieT » February 23rd, 2018, 2:26 pm

Thank you so much!!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 23rd, 2018, 5:35 pm

I typically just shut down the range and water heater on the A.C. side and the fridge and potable water pump on the DC side. If I had an icemaker and it was full of ice I'd leave it on.

Most people I know shut their AC/Heat off but that also depends on the weather. Some leave the A/C on at a higher setpoint just to keep the humidity down in the cabin.

Return to “Electrical”