Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

What kind of A for DC Breaker Switch?

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Italy
sandro.klersy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 2897 Mariner 1988

What kind of A for DC Breaker Switch?

Postby sandro.klersy » March 14th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Hi Guys
Please help me...., in my ‘88 Mariner 28 i need to replace some AIRPAX T11 breaker toggle switch in order to have all the main panel working correctly. But now i can’t read on it what A (ampère) they are supported for the different section (example stereo/blower etc....Do you know what A is needed for the INTERIOR LIGHT dc breaker?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: What kind of A for DC Breaker Switch?

Postby tomschauer » March 15th, 2018, 12:07 am

Wow, you have a very cooked connection there. That one needs cut off restriped and a new crimp installed.
I cant read the label from the picture, but the ratings should be on that label. If not you can go by wire size.
If more than one wire is on any breaker the breaker should be sized by the smallest gauge wire.
For 14 awg use 15 amp max. For 12 awg 20 amp max, 10 awg 30 amp max.
I doubt you have anything larger except your DC mains or windless which may be 50 amp.
You may have some smaller 5 or 10 amp breakers for stereo memory ortank gauges.

Topic author Italy
sandro.klersy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby sandro.klersy » March 15th, 2018, 9:53 am

Thank's Tom
I will follow your advice to restore the cable contacts. I have see some part manual for other Carver biggest model and for the interior light is usually used an Airpax DC breaker of 15A...do you think it's the same for my '28?
Can someone tell me if it is possible to retrieve the wiring diagram of this model?
The contact us form of the carveryachts.com website does not work....

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 15th, 2018, 8:13 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post...... For 14 awg use 15 amp max. For 12 awg 20 amp max, 10 awg 30 amp max.....

This rule is fine for AC but it's a little more complicated when considering a DC circuit. In a DC application, you need to consider the length of the circuit, not just the wire size. For example; in a 10% voltage drop application, a 14 awg wire will suffice in an 80 foot run at 5 amps, a 40 foot run at 10 amps, 25 feet at 15 amps, 20ft at 20A, 15ft at 25A, and 10ft at 30-40 amps. So what size breaker do you pick based on the wire size alone? You must know the wire size, the total circuit load, and the length of the circuit round trip to know for sure the proper size breaker that should be used, otherwise you may overrate and have the potential to cause a fire, or the breaker may keep tripping if underrated.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 15th, 2018, 11:27 pm

Wire run length is a factor for both ac and dc circuits. Voltage is electrical pressure, so the lower the voltage the greater the loss over the circuit length. 12v circuits will have a greater loss /ft than 120v ac or dc, but on a 28' boat they can only be so long. So a rule of thumb should work for you. If you use a 15amp breaker on a 14 awg circuit and the load exceeds 15 amp, you will trip the breaker, you will not melt the wire and have it burst into flames. However, if you have 16 awg connected to a 20 amp breaker due to a perceived short wire run, you could burn the wire before tripping the breaker.
As Viper mentions above, with a long run, you will have lower voltage at the end of the line, causing the end device to use higher than rated amperage , but as long as the wire rating matches or exceeds the breaker rating the risk of fire is minimized, but the possibility of nuisance breaker trips is possible.

Topic author Italy
sandro.klersy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby sandro.klersy » March 16th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Hi Guys!
Carver have sent to me the attached document for the fuse/breaker table!
Today I’ve easily removed the dc switch panel only by disconnect 3 quick connector of the back. I have read a little better the Amp in each AIRPAX Breaker and someone have a different rate of mine.
Here you can find my configuration:

Light PANEL 7.5A
Light NAV ANCHOR 7.5A
Light SPOT 15A
Light INTERIOR 20

Miscellaneous WIPER 10A
Miscellaneous HORN 20A
Miscellaneous REFER 20A
Miscellaneous STEREO 2.5A
Miscellaneous TRIM TABS 20A

Accessories EXTRA 10A
Accessories SALON 10A
Accessories BRIDGE 10A

Exhaust Fans HEAD 7.5A
Exhaust Fans BILGE 7.5A

Pumps SHOWER 10A
Pumps WATER 15A
Pumps BILGE FWD 10A
Pumps BILGE AFT 10A

Now my problem is to retrive this breaker in Italy and online (Amazon or other electrical e-commerce). I have find it only by Osculati (a Biggest marine supply) but the available range of Amp are 5/10/15/20....
Can anyone suggest with which is better to replace the 7.5A....5 or 10 braker?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 16th, 2018, 6:21 pm

You don't have to use the same brand. Try Blue Sea or Carling.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 16th, 2018, 9:45 pm

This is a perfect example of why you can't simply go by the wire size to determine the circuit protection rating in a DC application. Most of the requirements in all the possible 14 ga circuits for example are NOT 15A breakers. In fact most require less than a 15A device for proper protection. Going with anything higher in those cases would not be a good idea. While there are 14 ga lighting circuits requiring 15A protection devices, there are also 14 ga lighting circuits requiring 20A units.

You did the right thing by contacting Carver. At least now you know for sure what should be used.

Topic author Italy
sandro.klersy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby sandro.klersy » March 18th, 2018, 9:08 am

Another things...you know the name of this component???? I can’t found it in the web...

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 18th, 2018, 10:01 am

That is a female tab to screw connector.
Found by size of tab and thread size.
Such as 3/8 female tab by 10/32 screw.

Return to “Electrical”