Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Air conditioners when on generator power

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
RMCKEE
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3807

Air conditioners when on generator power

Postby RMCKEE » March 30th, 2018, 7:32 am

I have issues with running air conditioners when on generator power. I have three air conditioners that all can be controlled individually. Every time I switch to generator power and power on just one air conditioner, it trips the breaker. I have read all the manuals on the generator and the air conditioners, but does not cover this issue. Is it an issue with the air conditioners and the electric panel or is it that the generator isnt big enough to push the air conditioner.?
Thanks

United States of America
Samuel
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Air conditioners when on generator power

Postby Samuel » March 30th, 2018, 8:36 am

Need more information, do you shut everything down before you start generator or do you just switch from shore power to gen power while everything is on.The proper way is to shut everything down disconnect shore cords. Then start gen let it run for a few minutes than turn a/c pump first then turn each a/c switch on one at a time until it runs.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 30th, 2018, 9:08 am

Welcome to the forum....I agree a little more info will help.....what size genny ( KW) do you have, does it run all the rest of the boat without any issues etc., there can never be too much info.

Have you had any recent work done on the gen.?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » March 30th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Original ac unit?
In-rush current on those is phenomenal.
Could be simply that. If you have access to a amprobe with a telltale, well, it will tell the tale!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » March 30th, 2018, 1:23 pm

Based on the info you have supplied, it tells me that the amps being supplied to the AC panel are not enough. When your A/C unit kicks on it spikes the amps and if the amps being supplied are not up to par it will trip the breaker. If when your A/C unit kicks on while on shore power and you don not have the same issue happening, then my guess would be you generator is not putting out the amps needed to supply the A/C requirements and thus trips the breaker and most likely the main breaker. IMO!
Last edited by mjk1040 on April 21st, 2018, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 30th, 2018, 2:10 pm

If you know how to operate a volt meter, take a reading at an outlet and see what the generator is outputting with no loads on, then start turning on loads such as the water heater, stove, etc. and see if there is a dramatic voltage drop. The generator rpm should react briefly when you first turn each item on but then recover right away. Then turn off those items you just turned on and with your meter still in an outlet, turn on that air conditioner and see what happens to the reading. Low voltage will cause the load (amps) to climb and that's what trips the breaker. Other than that, the unit should not be drawing more on the genny than it does on shore power providing the voltages from both sources are the same. A weak breaker will also cause this. They have a trip threshold that may not be triggered by a more stable shore power voltage but may trip a weak breaker in the presence of low generator voltage. Other possibilities here of coarse such as generator wiring, poor connections at the source selector switch, etc.

If you have original equipment/factory setup, the generator will handle all three units operating at the same time.

United States of America
Keith S
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38 Super Sport

Postby Keith S » March 31st, 2018, 10:50 am

It is difficult to give meaningful advice without knowing the make and model of generator you have. Different models operate in different ways. It could be your rpm is too low, the governor is not responding correctly or a weak capacitor if your model uses them.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 31st, 2018, 6:41 pm

The Kohler 7.5R23 was a popular unit in Carvers of that Vintage. Is this the one you have?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 31st, 2018, 7:53 pm

Also, what breaker is tripping? The one on the generator, the main panel 120v , or the air conditioner breaker?

United States of America
PhilH
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver Californian 45 M/Y, 1990 Cat 3208 diesels

Postby PhilH » April 21st, 2018, 3:30 am

Also, found our breakers do go bad without warning. Try replacing the old circuit breaker with a new one. That solved 2 of my problems.

Return to “Electrical”