Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

DC power while engines running

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
simple interest
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 406 Carver and a few other smaller boats

DC power while engines running

Postby simple interest » May 7th, 2018, 4:12 am

I have a Carver 406. Took boat out for the first time this season. After about an hour (under power at all times) I noticed the cabin lights getting dim and other DC loads like nav equipment were getting reduced DC power. I have a total of 5 batteries on the boat, one for generator, 2 starting batteries and 2 house batteries. I started the generator which in turn provided AC power to my Master Volt battery charger and the problem went away. Would condition of house batteries cause this issue or should the engine alternators maintain sufficient voltage to keep lights and other DC equipment running?
Steve M
406 Carver

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: DC power while engines running

Postby mjk1040 » May 7th, 2018, 5:03 am

Alternators should charge and maintain ur batteries. Were ur batteries disconnected during storage and not hooked back up properly? Or are ur alternators bad? Did the volt meters on the dash register anything while engines were running? If ur battery banks are isolated by the battery selector switch and u were running on 1 or 2 and not all, you would only be charging one bank of batteries. Multiple issues would cause ur problem.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 7th, 2018, 6:29 am

Just to add to what Mike said....check all your battery terminals for corrosion and tightness, bad ground connections can cause as well..your master volt will feed the 12v side regardless of the batteries, as you found out......good luck man.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 7th, 2018, 7:11 am

You may have more than one problem; bad batteries, bad alternator/s, the way you're managing distribution with the selector switch. Your alternators should put out more than enough to maintain a charge depending on your loads at the time and providing you're at a decent rpm. You won't get full output from them at idle or slight higher for example. The best thing to do is take a meter reading right at your batteries with only one engine running then shut it off and do it again with the other engine running. Set throttle to about 1500-2000 rpm. You should get over 14V if your batteries are low.

Disconnect the batteries and do a proper battery test. If you don't have the equipment, have the marina test them or take them in to an automotive place and get them professionally tested. Do that after they've been on charge overnight.

Topic author United States of America
simple interest
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 406 Carver and a few other smaller boats

Postby simple interest » May 7th, 2018, 9:10 am

Thanks to all for the information. I was just "puttering around" at about 800 RPM's. The gauges on the bridge showed around 14 volts on both. Also, I have an isolator feeding the house bank. Will try all suggestions. So what I am understanding is that bad house batteries may be the culprit even though I was under engine power at a very low RPM?
Steve M
406 Carver

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 7th, 2018, 9:35 am

Heh there....My guess would be ,if you were seeing 14 at the bridge gages, then your alts are putting out....I would check my wiring and connections ( corrosion) and see what is what before making any moves....also that isolator. Remember like it says in your manual, do not turn the battery switch to off while the engines are running.....it should be a make before break type so switching between 1-2 and both is fine just don't pass thru the off position.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 7th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Could be a bad isolator, but if the batteries were disconnected for the off season, then I'd suspect they just didn't reconnect that line.

Return to “Electrical”