Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Charging 12V house batteries underway

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Charging 12V house batteries underway

Postby km1125 » March 13th, 2022, 5:31 pm

brow_14 wrote:Source of the post Thank you km1125

- I don't know how old the batteries are, I just bought the boat and had a mechanic inspection and survey done with no reported issues on the batteries (doesn't mean they didn't catch it)..., but I will check the house battery- Thank you!
is that to say that the house battery will be charged by the shore power as well?....or does the house battery get charged by the generator?

- to answer your question on the compressor, I believe it is the horn compressor ...can that we switched of (at night)?

I doubt the surveyor checked the quality of the batteries. I don't know any who do. Unless they had obvious visual clues that there was an issue (like badly corroded cables or connections), they wouldn't have noted it. You should probably plan on replacing it and also checking the engine start batteries. See if you can at least determine how old they are - perhaps there are stickers on the batteries that show their manf date.

The generator should supply power to anything your shore power does, so that would include the battery charger for the house and start batteries. When the generator isn't running and you're connected to shore power, that same battery charger would still charge the house and start batteries.

Yes, if it's the air horn compressor, you could certainly turn it off. There should be a dedicated circuit breaker on the 12VDC panel. If it periodically runs, they means you have a air leak somewhere, so someday when you're poking around on the boat, find the compressor and the lines to the horns and see if something is loose.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 13th, 2022, 7:20 pm

Welcome to the forum...

Some things to check........ Are there any battery isolation switches in the bilge that are turned to off.......what happens when your main battery switch is turned thru the 1 then 2 then all. FYI ...Never turn this to off when the engines are running. All breakers and switches for the 12v system in the correct positions for use....check the manual for some hints.

Has this been like this since your sea trial ?

If so maybe you could get your surveyor/mechanic to come and help you with the power issue as one of them should have picked up a dead battery if that is the case here unless this has been going on for a while.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Icango560
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver Voyager 560, 675 Volvo’s.

Postby Icango560 » November 14th, 2023, 8:39 pm

The circuit breaker for the 12v port charger is on the wall (hidden) behind the starboard engine near the oil changer panel.

Return to “Electrical”