Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 38Ss generator auto switch

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Great Britain
Peter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 38ss 2007

Carver 38Ss generator auto switch

Postby Peter » June 6th, 2018, 4:23 pm

Hi guys
Has anyone put an automatic cut in switch on they generator to save switching it on manually when the 12v system drops below a certain amp etc ?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Carver 38Ss generator auto switch

Postby tomschauer » June 6th, 2018, 5:26 pm

I don't know. I could be done, but I would think it through a bit first.
If gas engines, you want the blower on for a few minutes first. Not a big problem, just add another TDR. Next, do you always want it to turn on if voltage is low? Maybe lost shore power at the marina for a few hours batteries pick up the fridge and get a bit low, genny comes on, your not on the boat, neighbors get gassed out. Then what about shutting it off? if you try to do it automatically on voltage, it will shut off as soon as the battery charger fires up, then start again, endless cycle.

I think I would rather just hit the start switch.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 6th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Yup, I agree with Tom....we had one that started when you plugged anything ( created a draw )into the 110 volt side ....a nightmare, much better to control yourself, but to each they say......... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 6th, 2018, 10:01 pm

Automatic systems were pretty common years ago but soon disappeared due to safety reasons, and these were designed by the generator manufacturers. Insurance companies did not like them and eventually refused to insure you if you had one on board. After that, the manufacturers stopped supporting the units.

Topic author Great Britain
Peter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 38ss 2007

Postby Peter » June 7th, 2018, 2:09 am

Ummm ok then lol

Was thinking more like only coming on when actualy using the boat out fishing etc

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 7th, 2018, 6:50 am

If your concern is battery power dropping too low, there are battery monitoring systems that will alert you when voltage drops to a predetermined level. That would be your prompt to turn on your generator and charger.

Return to “Electrical”