Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Auto Transfer Switch

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Auto Transfer Switch

Postby km1125 » July 24th, 2018, 4:51 pm

If they don't default to shore power, I'm surprised. Normally they active by the power from the generator. If you see them activate from shore power then it would be the bottom set of contact for shore, and the top set for generator. However, if it's not even moving, then it's the coil and not the contacts.

What I was seeing in the pic in noted by the red arrow. Looks discolored. All four contact are circled but there are two sides, the top and bottom to each one. I agree just replace it if available.

ats2_circles.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » September 10th, 2018, 12:26 pm

I had a similar problem on my '95 355 Aft Cabin.
Shore power two would not supply power on generator. It would work fine on shore power.

Thanks to this thread I was able to track down the auto switching relay. It was in my electrical panel at the top behind the volt/amp gauges.

When I took the panel apart there were two burned out wires. I believe they shorted due to an issue with the shore power cable not being tightly connected and shorting out at some point. I went to West Marine and bought some 600v cable and replaced those wires and at the same time replaced the auto relay using the Amazon link referenced earlier.
The part was called "NTE Electronics R04-11A30-120 Series R4 General Purpose Multicontact AC Open Frame Relay, Heavy Duty, DPDT Contact Arrangement, 30 Amp, 120 VAC"
It was a perfect match. I killed all power to the boat including the 12v sources. Checked the panel for voltage and then dove in and swapped out the part. Pretty simple to do. Just change one wire at a time and work clockwise around the relay until everything is done. I tied back a couple stray wires just to make it a little neater in there.

Thought I would loop back on this just in case anyone else has the same issue and just add my experience.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » August 30th, 2019, 9:35 am

Ok, old thread but I'm having a problem on my boat. I'm not getting shore power on either of my 30 amp connectors. Everything works on genset. Any possibility both transfer switches went bad at the same time?

Edit: Problem solved.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » September 2nd, 2019, 1:39 am

buster53 wrote:Source of the post Ok, old thread but I'm having a problem on my boat. I'm not getting shore power on either of my 30 amp connectors. Everything works on genset. Any possibility both transfer switches went bad at the same time?

Edit: Problem solved.

Please post how you solved the problem. It could help someone in the future.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “Electrical”