Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

350 Mariner Generator

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 396 Motor Yatch
370 Cummins

350 Mariner Generator

Postby 650Guy » July 10th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Hey All...

So I have a factory installed Kohler generator on my 2001 350 Mariner... But I am new to the boat.

So I'm new to having a generator. I start it up and she runs well, except I get very small amount of water out of the exhaust. Because i'm super paranoid, I have not run it for very long, maybe 3-5 mins MAX.

Here is what I know, but don't know if any of it matters:
- I have a closed loop cooling system
- Have completely cleaned sea strainer
- gen starts and seems to run just fine but have tried not to over heat her by only running in short spurts.
- right at start it seems to "mist" water
- a few mins after starting, it will blurb out maybe a cup of water then return to misting drops of water. This cycle seems to continue.

Does this sound like normal functionality? You will all make my day if you say "Oh ya man, thats how it works!" :-D

also, do these things have overheat shut down protection?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 350 Mariner Generator

Postby bud37 » July 10th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Same boat , same genny....they burp water a bit but the flow should be relatively steady once the muffler is full......thinking you need to get the impeller changed and check for old bits in discharge to heat exchanger on the top there.You will not enjoy that job, if not handy it is definitely a pay and watch.
Just make sure that the thru hull valve is fully open and the strainer is full and no air in there first....Sorry bout that........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 10th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Unless a previous owner installed an exhaust/water separator with underwater discharge, you should get a good volume of water out the exhaust with the understanding that you have a lift muffler which will cause a pulsed action in the discharge. I'd also recommend replacing the impeller and inspect the inside of the pump housing and cover while you're there. Is your strainer below the water line?

650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » July 11th, 2018, 7:59 am

Well, you all have confirmed my suspicions.

I think a new impeller is in my future. I'm a hands on kinda guy but sometimes, its better to have someone who knows what they are doing do the job.

So dumb question, Bud37, you mentioned "once the muffler is full"... how long does that take? Also, I replaced the water line to the strainer over the winter, could there be air in THERE causing me issues? I did not even think of that part til you mentioned it.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 11th, 2018, 8:18 am

The muffler fills quite quick, only a few seconds really....regarding the impeller its more of a, can you fit in there job to be done with a mirror etc, because of the location, not hard at all just time consuming frustrating when you can see something but not touch it, but well worth a try though.
It is possible that air is causing a problem but if the strainer is full, lid sealed and clamps all tight a good pump will pull. Those 3600 rpm gens can eat impellers, just the nature of them.Good luck man...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » July 11th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Once you have it repaired and running properly, use it every time you can with a load. Use it or loose it!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » July 11th, 2018, 8:59 pm

Well, replacing the impeller seems like a prudent idea regardless. According to the last owner, it was replaced 2 years ago. I like doing it every other year on engines so this seems like a good time to do it.

I'll keep ya posted, I'll try and find the part number and get it on order.

Thanks everyone! This forum is priceless!!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 11th, 2018, 9:21 pm

One last tip, if you happen to remove the entire pump from the gen.....there is a plastic drive gear type mechanism ( coupling ) that drives the pump from the shaft...it will be obvious...get a new one and replace it and keep the old one as a spare....if you don't take it off, no sweat, just came to mind reading this again.

I guess my assumption is you have the kohler 7.3...yes

650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » July 11th, 2018, 9:25 pm

You may be my new hero! That is an AWESOME TIP! I'll order up that gear as well! I know its a Kohler, and I assume its the 7.3, but will have to double check.

United States of America
Keith S
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38 Super Sport

Postby Keith S » July 12th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Always post the model number to get relevant advice. If it is a 7.3, it is a plastic drive coupling, not actually a gear. The original black colored ones would crack and slip. They were replaced with an updated yellow coupling which has been pretty trouble free unless the pump seizes. Kohler recommends replacing the impeller every year regardless of hours on the 3600rpm units. The impeller hub has a tendency to slip even if the blades have little wear.

Return to “Electrical”