Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Courtesy light 1997 355

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tgmkwill
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 355 Carver Aft

Courtesy light 1997 355

Postby tgmkwill » July 30th, 2018, 10:21 am

1997 355 aft cabin. I need to replace the courtesy light that is near the sliding entrance door to right as you try to get inside the boat. I took the small plastic grill off, the gray circular part that holds the bulb will not pull out to get the wires behind the bulb. I want replace the entire courtesy light fixture. I tugged on it with needle nose pliers and noticed the fixture is very heavily caulked from the INSIDE preventing the fixture from sliding out like the other fixtures door of the same style that are inside the salon.

Tugging fairly hard on the fixture it only moves it out about 1 cm, as soon as I let go it snaps back into the hole.

Before I use the "just grip it and rip" technique, just seeing if I am missing an easy access to the backside of where the light is attached. I want to replace the light fixture, so it does not matter if it breaks. Just wondering if any other wires are is behind it before I do this. Don't won't to make a bigger problem.

I can't believe I had to type 3 paragraphs about a small little light. That's a boat for you .

Thanks.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Courtesy light 1997 355

Postby bud37 » July 30th, 2018, 1:14 pm

An idea or two....maybe the wires are short and pulling it back.....but really if you are putting a new fixture, just drill it out in bits, that way you can be sure to not damage things further .......its fun heh, inventive ways to screw future owners ...... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » July 30th, 2018, 11:02 pm

For the rest of us. When you do figure how to get that part out let the rest of us know. Someday someone else will face the same issue and you will have taught us all how to take care of it.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

tgmkwill
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby tgmkwill » July 31st, 2018, 8:33 am

I like the idea of drilling it out in small pieces in case the wires are short. That will probably be the way I will try this weekend.

I was also thinking of taking the bolster panel off inside the salon on the starboard side where the light switches are as you stand at the base of the steps. A lot of screws and trim to remove, and still not sure if i would have access to it.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 31st, 2018, 9:09 am

You should post a pic or two of what you are talking about. That light could be used in many different boats, but unless you were very intimate with the details of a 1997 355, no one would know exactly what you're up against.

If exposed to weather, the light could be caulked in place but probably does have some clips to hold it in place even if not caulked. You can use something like dental floss to cut away most of the caulk to help loosen it.

Are there any other similar lights on the boat that you might be able to explore easier to understand how they mount?

tgmkwill
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby tgmkwill » August 1st, 2018, 8:34 am

Pics of the area I am talking about. Won't be at my boat until weekend, got these pics from web. 1997 355, the light I am trying to replace is circled. Exact same light fixtures are inside the boat in other, they come out real easy. I will get close up of the light fixture this weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tgmkwill
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby tgmkwill » August 1st, 2018, 8:42 am

I am also thinking of taking this panel off, a lot screws, trim, wall switch plates, disconnect the light switches etc... Not even sure if I can reach that area once I do this. So just looking for any tips if anyone else has done this before or taken this panel off and knows about access. So far drilling out the light fixture that holds the bulb in small pieces at a time and cutting the gobs of caulking that must be behind it with dental floss might be the way I will go.
[image][/image]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » August 2nd, 2018, 6:26 am

Get an artist scalper knife and cut the 5200 holding it in. I doubt the wires are short.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » August 2nd, 2018, 10:45 am

I have the same light on my '99 404. I checked the socket and it too is caulked in place. Pretty sure it was done by Carver.

..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

tgmkwill
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby tgmkwill » August 4th, 2018, 4:14 am

Trying to remove the panels in the picture was a pain, I so I just drilled it out a little bit at a time until I could pull the bulb socket out and get to the the wires. This was the only courtesy light on the Carver that was covered in caulk from the inside. Had to have been done when boat was being built. Thanks for the help. ! Project done, light replaced.

Return to “Electrical”