Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

A/C battery chargers working while 5.7 mercs are running?

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Chiefshack
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3207, 32ft.

A/C battery chargers working while 5.7 mercs are running?

Postby Chiefshack » August 6th, 2018, 2:23 am

I just bought a 1989 3207 Aft Cabin. It has twin 5.7 MIE Mercruisers and a 6.5 Kolan Gen Set. I found out today the battery charger is "hard wired" to the the A/C panel circuit. My question is can the charger be used while the engines are running without damaging the engine batteries, alternators (original) or the charger itself? As is stands right now, if I am on shore power or the genset the charger is on always whether the engines are running or not!!
Thank you in advance,
Chief Shack
USN (Ret)
USS JOSEPH HEWES FF-1078
USS SARATOGA CV-60
USS MOUNT BAKER AE-34
USS JOHN F. KENNEDY CV-67

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: A/C battery chargers working while 5.7 mercs are running?

Postby Midnightsun » August 6th, 2018, 2:34 am

Not an issue. The is common within the boating industry. All chargers sense if they need to charge, one or both will charge the bank as required. In my case I have a couple of solar panels hooked up so there may be as many as 3 sources charging at the same time.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
Chiefshack
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3207, 32ft.

Postby Chiefshack » August 6th, 2018, 2:42 am

Thank you Hans, now knowing that I am going to install a "Smart" 20 Amp 3 bank charger. So my new starter, house, and genset batteries can be kept healthy
USS JOSEPH HEWES FF-1078
USS SARATOGA CV-60
USS MOUNT BAKER AE-34
USS JOHN F. KENNEDY CV-67

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 6th, 2018, 9:22 am

If you spend a couple of days at a time at anchor, you may want to consider something bigger than 20 amp charger so you can maximize the charge for the length of time you run the generator away from the dock. The only way to charge faster with a small charger is to run the engines instead, however that will take much more fuel. If you simply go from port to port and spend most of your time at the dock, then a 20 amp charger is fine. I only install 20 amp chargers on small runabouts now and even then boating habits and power usage have to be taken into consideration.

You can operate your charger while the engines are running however the engines should charge the batteries on their own through the alternators. No need to have the charger working if the engines are running.

Return to “Electrical”