Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Genny Died

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
CaptBob
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Shopping....

Genny Died

Postby CaptBob » August 27th, 2018, 12:36 am

Well, I did it again. Last time we were out, I made the comment about how well the genny had been running all summer. This week.... yup.

A solid no start condition. Cranks, but does not fire. No cough, no attempt at start, nada, nothing. Simply spins at a normal sound that it always had. (I've already pulled the drain plug on the water lift muffler so that I will not waterlock it while trouble shooting)

The patient, a 7.3 Kohler carb genny.

Oil full.
Coolant full
Port fuel tank at 3/4 (genny draws from port)
Impeller intact, water pumping through to muffler, (and currently draining out of muffler)

Replaced plugs (don't remember doing the annual plug change ritual this spring)
Check for spark at plugs, both have spark.
Pulled fuel hose off output side of genny fuel pump, no fuel while cranking. So that's a problem.
Check for power going to pump while cranking, no power on multi meter. I would think that's a problem.

Questions, I suspect whatever drives the pump (the dreaded board in the controller on the genny, or a possibility of a fuel pump problem since I'm not sure what I should get out of the plug to the pump, I would assume 12 VDC. I did not check to see if the transfer pump was moving fuel to the genny pump, nor did I remove the fuel filter that is upstream from the genny fuel pump. I stopped when I found no power to the pump. I'm kind of in the process to try to find a "proper" test of power to the pump.

Other suggestions?

Thanks

Bob!
Capt Bob!
More Nautiville 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
A little less Nauti 2008 SeaDoo 150 Speedster (Admiral could not live without a jet boat.... :captain2: )

Nautiville 2005 Cruisers 280 CXi *Sold*
Nautitown 2012 SeaDoo 180 SP *Sold*

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Genny Died

Postby bud37 » August 27th, 2018, 8:03 am

Bad luck......Bob do you have the wiring schematic ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 27th, 2018, 10:49 am

I would think the pump would have a fuse and also a relay in the circuit somewhere. There might also be something that ties into oil pressure (but gets bypassed when cranking) so the fuel pump dies if there isn't sufficient oil pressure. Circuit diagram would be your friend, for sure.

United States of America
Keith S
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38 Super Sport

Postby Keith S » August 31st, 2018, 12:58 pm

The fuel pump shares the same fuse and relay as the ignition, so if you have spark, they should be fine. Check the 2 conductor plug at the fuel pump, I have seen them corroded enough that no voltage would pass. Separately power up the fuel pump and see that it works.

CaptBob
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby CaptBob » September 4th, 2018, 1:21 am

Keith S wrote:Source of the post The fuel pump shares the same fuse and relay as the ignition, so if you have spark, they should be fine. Check the 2 conductor plug at the fuel pump, I have seen them corroded enough that no voltage would pass. Separately power up the fuel pump and see that it works.

Well, I went back in during this weekend to have another look. I was prepared to jumper some power to the pump and see if I had flow. However as an additional test I decided to probe the plug again and see if there was power to the pump. There was. I have no idea why I didn't have power the other day, possibly I was grumpy and measuring the wrong end of the plug, or probably I had the meter on the wrong setting, (I don't use the boat's multi meter near as much as I use my work one... :banghead: )

Anyway... a new pump is on order, we will see what happens!
Last edited by CaptBob on September 4th, 2018, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capt Bob!
A little less Nauti 2008 SeaDoo 150 Speedster (Admiral could not live without a jet boat.... :captain2: )

Canada
daveS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: ☀️Sanity Sol☀️
1999 350 Mariner

Postby daveS » September 4th, 2018, 7:11 am

Check temp shut off switch. There's two. One on top of each cylinder. Disconnect and try starting...

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » September 4th, 2018, 11:49 am

If the 12vdc polarity is wrong to the fuel pump, it will run backwards and not pump fuel. Just something to check before replacing the pump.

United States of America
Keith S
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38 Super Sport

Postby Keith S » September 8th, 2018, 9:55 am

Difficult to reverse polarity on that model, 2-pin plug that only goes one way. Not impossible, but difficult. The electric fuel pump is a fairly common failure item. I change a dozen every year and keep 2 on the shelf.

CaptBob
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby CaptBob » September 8th, 2018, 11:13 am

I'm on my way down now (well... after I finish my coffee) with pump in hand to put that to the test!
Capt Bob!

CaptBob
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby CaptBob » September 8th, 2018, 9:02 pm

The plan was delayed by the apparent need to pull up a bunch of fence posts out of the yard. Then off to the boat.

It was the pump. A new pump and filter later, it roars to life and settles down again like a normal genny should. Happy now, off to enjoy tomorrow with AC and all the goodies that go along with it. It's not so much as needing it, it just annoys me when something is down. Much happier boat (and crew!) when all is well.

Side note. In my searching for the pump, I found the same model number as an automotive application. (for half price of course) I did get the marine version, but upon removal of my old one, I see the sticker on the old one stating an automotive. It was painted over white as the rest of the genny. I do not know if it was original or not, (I seriously doubt it) but figure more likely that it was purchased and then painted as a replacement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Capt Bob!

Return to “Electrical”