Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

No Power to the Windless

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

No Power to the Windless

Postby Sadey » September 23rd, 2018, 8:53 am

2003 356 windless won’t work. My question is: how much should the red switch under the stairs label windless pull up? In the process of buying this boat and the windlass doesn’t work. Owner said earlier in the season he let all of the chain out then in to exercise the system. Now it won’t work at all. The red switch barely moves up and down at all and there is no power indication at the helm on the windless control head. The foot controls at the bow do not work as well. Just trying to get a rough idea if I should hold things up over this. An inspection of the anchor locker doesn’t reveal any signs of anything amiss all wires appear connected and no corrosion at all. Opinions?
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: No Power to the Windless

Postby Midnightsun » September 23rd, 2018, 9:02 am

Not sure what switch you are referring to but if it is like mine with a red button on the end (breaker style) the it should be in a horizontal position. You may have a windlass on/off switch at the helm which does need to on which should be located beside the up/down switch also located at the helm.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » September 23rd, 2018, 9:27 am

The only switch we (surveyor,sales,and me) could find is under the stairs leading to the salon on the battery switch panel. It is a red disk about the size of a dime and appears to be a push pull switch. We are only able to pull it up a fraction which honestly doesn’t seam like enough. No other switch at the control head just an in and out toggle. There is a power indicator light at the control head that is not illuminated.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
Dewmyster
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 370 Voyager

Postby Dewmyster » September 23rd, 2018, 9:42 am

Mine pulls out the same amount. You should look in the anchor locker. There is an inline fuse that can blow causing the windlass to stop. Took me about 10 minutes to find mine. Not a lot of room to look around.
:usa:

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » September 23rd, 2018, 9:48 am

Must not have looked hard enough up there. I’ll check it out tomorrow. I was guessing it was a simple power issue so we will see. I believe the owner about being surprised and his earlier useable. Boat is damn near immaculate.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 24th, 2018, 10:49 pm

The switch you're referring to only moves a fraction of an inch up or down. Listen for the click. What type of windlass is this, Maxwell Feedom 800?

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » September 27th, 2018, 4:48 am

It is a Maxwell but I’m not sure which model. Haven’t been on the boat since the sea trial last week. Apparently the switch (not sure if it was the power switch under the step or the control head at the helm) is bad. The current owner insisted on having it fixed on his dime ($600) before the sale is final. Nice guy right? Close this Friday 9/27.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
Bentone23
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin
454 xls EFI

Postby Bentone23 » November 18th, 2018, 11:13 pm

Under the step on my 355 is a 135 amp breaker for the windlass. I would remove the 4 screws that hold it down and check for 12 volts on either side of the breaker. If it is good there, go to the switches at the helm and windlass, check for voltage there. Then finally check for voltage at the windlass. A helper would be nice to turn the switches on while testing.
Bruce Bennett
Bentone23@sbcglobal.net
1996 355 Aft Cabin
Central California
Boating on the Delta and SF Bay

Return to “Electrical”