Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Rudder Synchronizer Gauge

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
ronmar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 350 Aft Cabin

Rudder Synchronizer Gauge

Postby ronmar » October 9th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Please before you respond "just mark wheel where appears to be dead center", I want the system to work. Drives me crazy to have something not working as it should.
I have a 93 350 Aft Cabin with rudder synchronize gauge that is not registering. It appears the sender unit is mounted on the rudder link rod under the aft cabin bed. I see 3 red wires as part of the harness. 2 are attached to the sender. The 3rd is not attached and simply coiled and tied off. Does not appear to be a connection where it would attach and assuming just an extra. All connections on the gauge itself are connected and the light comes on with instrument lights but not registering for rudder position.
Does anyone know how I should test and or repair?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Rudder Synchronizer Gauge

Postby Midnightsun » October 9th, 2018, 5:22 pm

I assume you mean rudder position indicator gauge? If so then they are quite simple. Basically a rheostat or variable resistance if you prefer. Normally only 2 wires are used at the sender. A wire from the gauge to the sender and a wire to ground. Here is a video which is pretty self explanatory.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 9th, 2018, 5:53 pm

I will just throw this out there , the red one could be for connection to auto pilot perhaps, dont know just spitballin .......... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 9th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Not sure if these are set up differently on other boats but my auto pilot has its own sender similar to the gauge sender excepth it says Ray Marine on it. Bottom line is Carver installed a sender for each application on my boat from the factory.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » October 9th, 2018, 8:07 pm

And I believe mine is a dial style on the rudder arms which, that too needs adjusting, not showing center, just farts around all over.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 10th, 2018, 7:29 am

Disconnect the sender actuator. Turn on the power, and while someone is watching at the helm, turn the actuator in both directions and have the person at the helm report if the gauge is moving. If it doesn't, quickly short both leads at the sender and see if the gauge sweeps. If it does, replace the sender. If it doesn't sweep, the possibilities are, the gauge, wiring, or circuit not getting power.

United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Postby amanphoto » October 13th, 2018, 7:37 am

Have you cleaned the connections on the sending unit on the rudder? If sending unit is bad it can be replaced for around $200.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 13th, 2018, 8:38 am

amanphoto wrote:Source of the post Have you cleaned the connections on the sending unit on the rudder? If sending unit is bad it can be replaced for around $200.

That's a lot of $ for a sender. This is what I bought however you would need to check the resistance type you have as this model may not be compatible with your gauge. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Singal-Station ... 0005.m1851

Actually that is not true since I bought the gauge and sender in a package. Really only did this because I wanted white gauges when I redesigned my dash and electronics. https://www.ebay.com/itm/KUS-Boat-Rudde ... SwpOxaAWGK

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Postby amanphoto » October 13th, 2018, 10:04 pm

VDO Single position Rudder Indicator Sender was $112. from Defender (302194). Angle Gauge was $67. from Defender (305415).

Return to “Electrical”