Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New battery charger

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: New battery charger

Postby bud37 » October 25th, 2018, 2:12 pm

So a little tidbit for all...pulled the 5000 series 12505EG charles out today, looked like brand new, anyway on the info plate on the side it appears to be for gel batteries, there is no switching device on this unit for lead acid.....interesting as it appears to be factory....... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 25th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Yep, double checked and the EG does say it is for Gel. http://www.charlesindustries.com/marine ... 5B1%5D.pdf Somebody screwed up unless the boat was delivered with Gel batteries. Then again I doubt .3 volts at bulk charging is going to make a difference and the float charge is the same as wet cell.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 25th, 2018, 6:11 pm

Found an explanation saying that the EG can be used for lead acid but it goes on to say that it would not get the lead acid type batteries up to their max capacity...interesting.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 25th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Both charging curves are pretty similar. Doubt there would be much of a notable difference with batteries that are in good shape. Is there a problem with the Charles?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 26th, 2018, 3:47 am

Charles made really good units arguably the best at the time. This is also the brand I have in mine however a newer style which added more battery type possibilities by installing a selector switch. Actually have 2, a 3 bank 60A and a separate single bank 10a that does the generator battery. Unfortunately they discontinued their charger line around 2016 and now concentrate on more lucrative items. I do understand the business decision with the new boat market the way it has been for so many years. I would also like to know what was wrong with your stock unit.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 26th, 2018, 8:46 am

Good morning guys, as I see it, that .3 vdc at ? amps may just be enough to hinder the unit from getting the battery to the number the charger needs to see to get itself to drop back to float mode. In the last two years monitoring the system I have never once seen float or anything less than 14.2 Vdc., for this reason I never leave the charger on unattended, 17 years old, inside there may be some sort of adjustment but its time to let it go. Certainly is a good looking unit, heavy aluminium case, big cooling fins etc...I don't like the compression connection terminals though , no separate case ground, and also no way to equalize.....

FYI, the info about the charger not getting the batteries topped up came from their own FAQ.

United States of America
Bentone23
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin
454 xls EFI

Postby Bentone23 » November 18th, 2018, 8:57 pm

I have a ProMariner, Pro Nautic 1230 on the way. It’s a 3 bank 30 amp smart charger. Won’t bake the batteries while I’m away. I don’t need a 50 amp because I am away for a week at a time and use it for 2 days.
Bruce Bennett
Bentone23@sbcglobal.net
1996 355 Aft Cabin
Central California
Boating on the Delta and SF Bay

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » November 18th, 2018, 11:23 pm

I only moved up to the 1250 for two reasons, first, my stereo amp draws 50 amps when driven hard, which is not very often, Second, west marine had the 1250 on sale for $10 less than the 1230. Go figure?

Return to “Electrical”