Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Shore Power Question

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Shore Power Question

Postby Sadey » December 18th, 2018, 9:37 am

Obviously there are two shore power outlets on our boat. My question is this, do both outlets have to be powered to power everything on the boat? Outlets, battery chargers etc... or is one of the outlets for those items and the other outlet is strictly for the air conditioning units? We bought this boat in October and it’s our first big boat. I’m in a heated storage so I spend at least one day or so a week out there customizing and just getting intimate with the boat. While I’m there I plug into shore power and I’m curious if both battery chargers are being powered with one connection.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Shore Power Question

Postby Midnightsun » December 18th, 2018, 10:10 am

Most boats are set up with AC on one inlet and everything else on the other. You can easily verify this by looking at your breaker panel where it should be identified and sometimes there is a label below the exterior connector with "Main" and "AC" identifying which is which.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » December 18th, 2018, 10:34 am

It seems that one outlet powers everything and the other one powers the AC. My main concern was that both battery chargers are powered when I plug-in. I don’t see much movement on the amp meter which of course is because the batteries are fully charged. I hadn’t thought to look at the connections himself and see how they’re labeled. When I head out there next week I’ll check it out. Thanks again for the help.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
Txcruiser
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 560 Voyager, Volvo D12

Postby Txcruiser » December 18th, 2018, 3:55 pm

My boat has the two shore power cords. Shore 1 feeds the top section of the panel - the smaller loads like refrigerator, battery chargers. In my case these are all 110V loads. The upper panel shows a line 1 and a line 2, but these are all feed by shore cord 1.

Shore cord 2 supplies the larger loads like A/C. In my case these larger loads are 220 V.

You should have two master breaker switches on your panel. Just experiment with then - off and on - to confirm which power cord powers what.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 18th, 2018, 9:06 pm

Hi Sadey, your 356 is equipped with 2 shore power plugs. Shore 1 is for all AC ( 110V ) equipment - fridge, electric stove, plug in outlets, charger(s). Shore 2 is for air cond/heat system only. Shore 1 can be on by itself, but if you run shore 2 for air, shore 1 also needs to be on. The meters in your power panel show you how much power you are using on each plug.

Keep asking any questions you have, but I am curious. Did you get an owner's manual with the boat? Carver is good with defining and provides diagrams of all these systems. I am only asking this because some boats were built with certain OEM and system configurations, and some of the same models were built with slight changes. If you did not get an owners manual, you could contact Carver. They can look up the construction log for your specific vessel, and they may have an owner's manual for you. Those are also available on the Carver website, but for some reason, the 2003 model year is not functioning properly. Carver also loves to know who the current owner's of their boats are. Let me know if you need a contact point. If you have email access in your profile, I will send you a contact. Did you figure out your refrigerator noise? Finally, check with your storage facility on keeping power cords plugged in. Most facilities have a rule that the boat should not be plugged in unless you are on site. Good Luck. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » December 19th, 2018, 10:16 am

Hello Sadey,
We had exactly the same question, read the manuals, still didn't get it? (I'm a visual comprehension guy) so I plugged in one cord, then the other, to a single 30 amp shore power outlet, while my wife noted which one powered the main AC power input.
Then we applied different colored duck tape tabs to the cords for future reference until we could apply labels on the cords.
We got shore power and A/C power labels (one of the office label makers) and applied to cords and then applied "clear" duct tape over the top for future protection (Gorilla tape makes clear UV resistant)
We also applied "boat name" labels to our 2-1 and 30A-50A adapters, using same steps.
Now we know exactly which cable to unravel/hookup to shore power.
As others have said #1 is all ship power/battery chargers, etc... #2 is A/C heat units

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » December 19th, 2018, 6:13 pm

Sadey; U have 2 battery chargers on ur boat? I'm thinking u only have one, but I could be wrong, but most charges do multiple banks of batteries!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » December 19th, 2018, 7:48 pm

Mine came with 2 chargers. The main 60a 3 bank does house and each engine. The generator gets charged via a single bank 10a. Never seen a 4 bank charger that does more than 10a per bank which is a little on the small side on a decent size house bank. ;-) .
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » December 19th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Yes. One 80 amp for the house and each engine battery. The other charger is, I believe, a 10am for the genny. Carver says I have four switches but I can’t or haven’t located the switch for the genny battery. Just haven’t looked close enough yet. Won’t get to the boat until kids head back to college. I miss her already. Oh and I don’t leave the boat plugged in when I’m gone. I think I can but don’t want my cords to go missing.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » December 20th, 2018, 10:05 am

Our boat, a 2006 36 MY has (2) charger switches on the AC panel, however, there is only (1) charger, which floats (3) batteries, the house, stbd engine, port engine. The "extra" Batt charger switch does nothing. The generator battery is isolated, charged when running generator only, as far as I can tell, confirmed by our boat yard mechanic/Carver guru.
We have second batery charger now, but's for the twin 12V bow thruster batteries, charged when on AC power only.

Return to “Electrical”